Derive the density relation to thermal expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between thermal expansion and density, specifically how small changes in density can be related to thermal expansion through the equation \frac{d\rho}{\rho} = -\beta dT. The conversation also explores the process of obtaining this equation, including setting up dV as V_1 - V and expressing \rho_1 as \rho + d\rho. It is concluded that when d\rho << \rho, the equation can be simplified to \frac{d\rho}{\rho_1} \approx -\beta dT.
Ryker

Homework Statement

Show that it follows from

[tex]\frac{dV}{V} = \beta dT[/tex]

that, for small changes, density has a similar linear relationship to thermal expansion, namely

[tex]\frac{d\rho }{\rho } = - \beta dT[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, at first glance this one seems ridiculously simple, but I tried setting up [tex]dV[/tex] as [tex]V_{1} - V[/tex], then inserting [tex]V_{1} = \frac{m}{\rho _{1}}[/tex] and similar for [tex]V[/tex], but when I go through the whole mathematical process that leaves me with the following equation:

[tex]\frac{d\rho }{\rho _{1}} = - \beta dT[/tex]

as opposed to:

[tex]\frac{d\rho }{\rho } = - \beta dT[/tex]

I'm not that good with LaTeX, so I haven't sketched the whole mathematical process I went through - there's not much to it anyway, to be honest - but does someone know what one needs to do to get the proper equation and where I went wrong? Is there some trick to it that I'm missing?

The final result for [tex]dV[/tex] is namely

[tex]\frac{-md\rho }{\rho \rho _{1}}[/tex]

and I was wondering if you could express [tex]\rho _{1} = \rho + d\rho [/tex], multiply and then dismiss the product [tex]\rho d\rho[/tex] as so small as to be irrelevant. Then you would namely get the right result, but I'm not that sure that product really is that small in comparison to the other one.

And sorry for any screw-ups in LaTeX, like I mentioned I'm not well versed in it (yet) and I needed almost half an hour to type even this up.

Physics news on Phys.org
When [tex]d\rho << \rho[/tex], you can write: [tex]\rho _1 \approx \rho[/tex] :wink:

God damn it, and this is something I literally lose hours over, despairing how stupid I am to not be able to get the right solution and lose motivation to do the stuff altogether! Thanks to you I can now finally get back to work, though :smile:

What is the density relation to thermal expansion?

The density relation to thermal expansion is a scientific concept that explains the relationship between the density of a material and its thermal expansion. It describes how a material's density changes when it is heated or cooled.

How is the density relation to thermal expansion derived?

The density relation to thermal expansion is derived using the coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) and the bulk modulus of the material. The equation is: Δρ/ρ = -αΔT, where Δρ is the change in density, ρ is the original density, α is the CTE, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What is the coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE)?

The coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE) is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts when it is heated or cooled. It is typically measured in units of length per unit of temperature, such as meters per kelvin (m/K) or inches per degree Fahrenheit (in/°F).

How does the bulk modulus affect the density relation to thermal expansion?

The bulk modulus of a material is a measure of its resistance to compression. A higher bulk modulus means that the material is more difficult to compress, which results in a smaller change in density when the material is heated or cooled. Therefore, materials with higher bulk moduli tend to have smaller changes in density with temperature, while materials with lower bulk moduli have larger changes in density.

Why is understanding the density relation to thermal expansion important in science?

Understanding the density relation to thermal expansion is important in science because it helps us predict how materials will behave when exposed to changes in temperature. This knowledge is crucial in many fields, including materials science, engineering, and geology. It also allows scientists to design materials with specific thermal properties for various applications.