What is the last step in the derivation of the Biot Savart Law?

In summary, the conversation is about a student having trouble deriving the Biot Savart law and questioning how the B vector turned into dB. The expert suggests that the student first understand terms related to different laws, such as Ampere's law and Lorentz force. The student clarifies that they are trying to derive the Biot Savart law and that Lorentz force will be covered in a later chapter. The expert advises the student to first write down the three laws and then derive them later.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

Hi,

So I'm having some trouble deriving the biot savart Law. We have been given a derivation in the notes and I understand everything up until the last step which is labelled in the picture?

2cdb94b9b9.png

Equating the two,
ff817eeb61.png

How did the B vector turn into dB? It seems like he canceled the cross product dL2 part on both sides? How is that possible?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 2cdb94b9b9.png
    2cdb94b9b9.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,875
  • ff817eeb61.png
    ff817eeb61.png
    53 KB · Views: 1,389
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are not having the knowledge of correct terms used in different laws. Please first make sure you know what is Biot savart law, it is about what. Also first learn what is Ampere's law and what is Lorentz force?

Let'sthink said:
I think you are not having the knowledge of correct terms used in different laws. Please first make sure you know what is Biot savart law, it is about what. Also first learn what is Ampere's law and what is Lorentz force?

I'm trying to derive the Biot Savart Law. Lorentz force is covered in a later chapter. I realize that what I have stated up there is not in fact Amperes Law but simply a component of the Lorentz Force.

First from the book you just write down the three laws you are naming. Derive them later.

1. What is the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady electric current. It states that the magnetic field at a point due to a small current element is directly proportional to the current, the length of the element, and the sine of the angle between the element and the point.

2. Who discovered the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law was first discovered by Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart in the early 19th century. They conducted experiments to determine the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields, which led to the development of the law.

3. What are the applications of the Biot Savart Law?

The Biot Savart Law has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine. Some examples include calculating the magnetic field around a wire, designing electromagnets, and studying the behavior of magnetic materials.

4. How is the Biot Savart Law derived?

The Biot Savart Law is derived using mathematical equations and the principles of electromagnetism. It involves integrating the contributions of small current elements to determine the total magnetic field at a point. The derivation process can be complex and is typically taught in higher-level physics courses.

5. Is the Biot Savart Law always accurate?

The Biot Savart Law is a simplified version of the more general Ampere's Law, and it is accurate for most practical applications. However, it may not be accurate in certain situations, such as when dealing with rapidly changing electric currents or magnetic fields. In these cases, more advanced equations and models may be needed.