Find Voltage on Y-Axis for y>>s

• Thread starter Minhtran1092
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary: I am not sure if the physics books doIn summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the expression for electric potential on the y-axis at distances y>>s. The attempted solution involves taking the sum of voltages at different positions, but there was difficulty in understanding the general procedure for evaluating a limiting case. The solution involves using binomial expansions and neglecting higher order terms to simplify the equation to kQ/(y^3), where Q = 2qs^2. The use of binomial expansion is not typically covered in physics textbooks but may be covered in precalculus.
Minhtran1092

Homework Statement

Someone posted a similar problem here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=375737

The diagram and problem description is essentially the same except I am trying to find the expression for the electric potential on the y-axis at distances y>>s.

Homework Equations

V = U/Q; Voltage at a distance 'r' from source charge, on a point charge Q whose potential energy is given by: k(q_source charge)(Q_point charge)(1/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the voltage, I figured to take the sum of the voltage at a position 'y' from the point of origin where -2q charge was. The total electrical potential at this point was given by:
ƩV = ƩU/Q_P; ƩU = k(q)(Q_P)(1/r) + k(q)(Q_P)(1/r) + k(-2q)(Q_p)(1/r); where r was (y-s), (y+s), (y), respectively. Algebraically simplifying this sum gives: 2kq(s^2)*[1/((y^3)-y(s^2))].

For y>>s, I figured the denominator would simplify to y^3-y but that wasn't the correct answer. It seems that I had trouble understanding the general procedure for evaluating a limiting case. Mathematically, how does considering when y>>s simplify the equation to kQ/(y^3); Q = 2qs^2? (The answer is correct for the x and y axis, which makes sense intuitively since at any long distance the linear electric quadrupole can be treated as a point charge whereby the calculation to find the electrical potential on any axis is arbitrary)

Physics news on Phys.org

well the potential on y-axis would be

[tex]V(y)=\frac{k_e q}{(y-s)}-\frac{2k_e q}{y}+\frac{k_e q}{(y+s)} [/tex]

which simplifies to

[tex]\frac{k_e q}{y}\left [\frac{1}{(1-\frac{s}{y})}-2+ \frac{1}{(1+\frac{s}{y})}\right ][/tex]

since y >> s , we have [itex]\frac{s}{y} \ll 1 [/itex] we can use binomial expansions

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-\frac{s}{y})}\approx 1+\frac{s}{y}+\frac{s^2}{y^2} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{(1+\frac{s}{y})}\approx 1-\frac{s}{y} +\frac{s^2}{y^2} [/tex]

since [itex]\frac{s}{y} \ll 1 [/itex] , we neglect higher order terms in [itex]\frac{s}{y}[/itex]

plug everything and I think you get what you are looking for

:approve:

IssacNewton said:
well the potential on y-axis would be

[tex]V(y)=\frac{k_e q}{(y-s)}-\frac{2k_e q}{y}+\frac{k_e q}{(y+s)} [/tex]

which simplifies to

[tex]\frac{k_e q}{y}\left [\frac{1}{(1-\frac{s}{y})}-2+ \frac{1}{(1+\frac{s}{y})}\right ][/tex]

since y >> s , we have [itex]\frac{s}{y} \ll 1 [/itex] we can use binomial expansions

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-\frac{s}{y})}\approx 1+\frac{s}{y}+\frac{s^2}{y^2} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{(1+\frac{s}{y})}\approx 1-\frac{s}{y} +\frac{s^2}{y^2} [/tex]

since [itex]\frac{s}{y} \ll 1 [/itex] , we neglect higher order terms in [itex]\frac{s}{y}[/itex]

plug everything and I think you get what you are looking for

:approve:

Ah I see. I wish my physics teacher told me about the binomial expansion ... it would have been very useful. Thank you, Isaac Newton (lol) for clarifying this approximation.

what text you are using... I think precalculus covers binomial expansion

Your attempt at a solution is close, but there are a few errors. Firstly, the total electrical potential at a point is not the sum of the individual potentials at that point. It is the sum of the individual potentials at that point due to all the charges present. So the correct expression for the total potential at a point y would be:

V = k(q)(Q_P)(1/(y-s)) + k(q)(Q_P)(1/(y+s)) + k(-2q)(Q_p)(1/y)

Secondly, when considering the limiting case of y>>s, we can simplify the equation by neglecting the terms involving s in the denominator. This is because when y is much larger than s, the term y-s (or y+s) becomes approximately equal to y, and the terms involving s become negligible compared to the terms involving y. So the simplified expression would be:

V = k(q)(Q_P)(1/y) + k(q)(Q_P)(1/y) + k(-2q)(Q_p)(1/y)

= 2kqQ_P/y + (-2kq^2)/y

= 2kq(Q_P - q)/y

= kQ/y

where Q = 2qs^2.

1. What is the significance of the Y-axis in finding voltage for y>>s?

The Y-axis represents the vertical axis on a coordinate plane, and in the context of finding voltage for y>>s, it represents the magnitude of the voltage. This means that the Y-axis is used to measure and graph the voltage values for y>>s.

2. How is the voltage on the Y-axis calculated for y>>s?

The voltage on the Y-axis for y>>s is calculated using the equation V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. This equation is derived from Ohm's law and is used to determine the voltage at a given point on the Y-axis.

3. Can the Y-axis voltage change for different values of y>>s?

Yes, the voltage on the Y-axis can change for different values of y>>s. This is because the voltage is dependent on the current and resistance, which can vary depending on the specific conditions of the circuit. As y>>s increases, the voltage on the Y-axis may also increase or decrease depending on the values of I and R.

4. How does the Y-axis voltage affect the overall circuit?

The Y-axis voltage is an important factor in determining the behavior and performance of a circuit. It can affect the flow of current, the amount of power dissipated, and the overall functioning of the circuit. In some cases, a high Y-axis voltage can lead to damage or malfunction of the circuit components.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Y-axis to find voltage for y>>s?

While the Y-axis is an important tool for measuring and graphing voltage for y>>s, there are some limitations to consider. The Y-axis can only provide a snapshot of the voltage at a specific point in the circuit, and it does not account for any changes or fluctuations in voltage over time. Additionally, the Y-axis may not accurately represent the voltage for y>>s in more complex or non-linear circuits.