Deriving Magnetic Field from Biot-Savart Integral for Long Straight Conductor

• Thread starter Pixter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the biot-savart law for deriving the magnetic field due to a long straight conductor. It involves integrating over L and -L for the function xdy/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2), which can be solved using a trig substitution method. The conversation also mentions the incorrect answer of B = (u0I/4pi)*(2L/xsqrt(x^2+y^2)), as well as potential hyperbolic and right triangle solutions. One of the participants in the conversation also shares their personal experience with Jean Baptiste Biot, describing him as a mix of vanity, impetuosity, fickleness, and natural partiality.
Pixter
so trying to understand the derivation of magentic field due to a long straight conductor:

so biot-savat says in this case:

B= u0I/4pi * integrate over L and -L for: xdy/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2)

and i should turn up with the answear:

B= (u0I/4pi)*(2L/xsqrt(x^2+y^2))

but can't do the integration.. so well i understand biot-savat but yeah can't do the integration, would anybody maybe show me how to do this?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fundamentally, that's
[tex]\int_{-L}^L (a^2+ y^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}dy[/itex]
and should make you think of a trig substitution (any time you have a square inside a square root and cannot simply substitute for the function in the square root itself, think of a trig substitutin). If I remember correctly, 1+ tan2= sec2 so try [itex]y= x tan(\theta)[/itex]. Then [itex]x^2+ y^2= x^2+ x^2 tan^2(\theta)= x^2(1+ tan^2(\theta))= x^2sec^2(\theta)[/itex] and
[tex](x^2+ y^2)^{-\frac{3}{2}}= x^{-3}sec^{-3}(\theta)=x^{-3}sin^3(\theta)[/tex]
Also, [itex]dy= x sec^2(\theta)[/itex] so your integral becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{x}\int_{-tan^{-1}(\frac{L}{x})}^{tan^{-1}(\frac{L}{x})}sin(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
which, except possibly for evaluating at the limits of integration, is easy.

Added in edit: I just noticed you say

"and i should turn up with the answear:
B= (u0I/4pi)*(2L/xsqrt(x^2+y^2))"

Well, that's obviously wrong, isn't it? If you are integrating, with respect to y, from -L to L, the result will not involve y.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not unless he means y for a

yes ment L^2 not y^2 at the bottom..

thanks for pointing out that.

so nobdy who knows exatcly how one goes from the firs tpoint of the bio savart law to the later (stated in the first post)

yeah so let's sat that we can use the trig but then how do i get it out to "normal" form so i can evaluate?

how did the people who found this in the first place do it?

Pixter said:
yes ment L^2 not y^2 at the bottom..

thanks for pointing out that.

so nobdy who knows exatcly how one goes from the firs tpoint of the bio savart law to the later (stated in the first post)

yeah so let's sat that we can use the trig but then how do i get it out to "normal" form so i can evaluate?

how did the people who found this in the first place do it?
Well, integral of sin(y) is -cos(y) so, evaluating at the limits of integration, we have [itex]-2cos(tan^{-1}(\frac{L}{x})[/itex].
To evaluate that, either use trig identities or imagine right triangle with "opposite side" of length L and "near side" of length x (i.e. the tangent of the angle is L/x). It's hypotenuse has length (Pythagorean theorem) [itex]\sqrt{L^2+ x^2}[/itex] and so the cosine of that angle is [itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{L^2+ x^2}}[/itex]. That should be simple enough.

Also a hyperbolic substitution ([itex] y=x \sinh t [/itex]) might work.

Daniel.

P.S. And it's Jean Baptiste Biot and Felix Savart (sic!)

Last edited:
P.P.S:

Here's a character description of Biot:

A ...comment by Olinthus Gregory in 1821 is:-

With regard to M. Biot, I had an opportunity of pretty fully appreciating his character when we were together in the Zetland [= Shetland] Isles; and I do not hesitate to say that I never met so strange a compound of vanity, impetuosity, fickleness, and natural partiality, as is exhibited in his character.

Related to Deriving Magnetic Field from Biot-Savart Integral for Long Straight Conductor

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field using the Biot-Savart integral for a long straight conductor?

The magnetic field can be calculated using the following formula: B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the conductor, and r is the distance from the conductor to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

2. What is the Biot-Savart law and how does it relate to the magnetic field of a long straight conductor?

The Biot-Savart law states that the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying conductor is directly proportional to the current and the distance from the conductor. In the case of a long straight conductor, the Biot-Savart law can be simplified to the Biot-Savart integral, which is used to calculate the magnetic field at any point around the conductor.

3. Can the Biot-Savart integral be used for non-straight conductors?

Yes, the Biot-Savart integral can be used for any type of current-carrying conductor, including non-straight conductors. However, the calculation becomes more complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

4. What is the direction of the magnetic field produced by a long straight conductor?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. If the current is flowing in the direction of your thumb, then your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

5. How does the distance from the conductor affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the conductor. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic field decreases. The relationship is described by the inverse square law, which states that the strength of the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.