Describe the motion of yoyos suspended from the ceiling

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving determining the motion of yoyos for n=1,2,3 and the relevant equations for solving it. The equations of motion for each yoyo are written out, and a constraint is introduced to account for the speed of the second yoyo depending on the first yoyo's movement. The general case for n is considered, but the complexity of the different motions at one instant is noted as a potential issue.
Matejxx1
Homework Statement
Determine the motion of yoyos for $n=1,2,3$
Relevant Equations
##J=\frac{mr^2}{2}##
##J\ddot\theta=Fr##
I have trouble solving this problem any help would be appreciated.Problem statement

##J=\frac{mr^2}{2}##

a) Determine the motion of yoyos for ##n=1,2,3##

The case for ##n=1## is simple, however, I am having trouble with ##n=2## and ##n=3##.

for ##n=2## I started by drawing all the forces:

a.png

and then I wrote out the equations of motions.

##1## yoyo:
$$
m\ddot{x_1}=F_{g_{1}}+F_{s_{12}}-F_{s_{0}}$$
$$
J\ddot\theta_{1}=F_{s_{0}}r
$$

##2## yoyo:
$$
m\ddot{x_2}=F_{g_{2}}-F_{s_{21}}$$
$$
J\ddot\theta_{2}=F_{s_{21}}r
$$

What I wanted to do here was also introduce a constraint ##\dot{x_{2}}=\dot{x_{1}}+\dot\theta_{2}r##, however, I am not sure whether this is correct. It feels right because the speed of the 2nd one is going to depend on how fast the 2nd yoyo spins and how fast the 1st one moves. From here I continued

$$
\ddot\theta_{1}r=\ddot{x_{1}} \hspace{2cm} J\ddot\theta_{1}=F_{s_{0}}r\implies F_{s_{0}}=\frac{J}{r^2}\ddot{x_{1}}$$
$$
\ddot\theta_{2}r=\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}}\implies\ddot\theta_{2}=\frac{\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}}}{r}\implies F_{s_{21}}=\frac{J(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{r^2}
$$

Plugging both forces into the equations of motions and using that ##|F_{s_{21}}|=|F_{s_{12}}|## I got

$$
m\ddot{x_1}=F_{g_{1}}+F_{s_{12}}-F_{s_{0}}\implies m\ddot{x_1}=mg+\frac{J(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{r^2}-\frac{J}{r^2}\ddot{x_{1}} $$
$$
m\ddot{x_2}=F_{g_{2}}-F_{s_{21}}\implies m\ddot{x_2}=mg-\frac{J(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{r^2}
$$

Plugging in ##J=\frac{mr^2}{2}##$$
m\ddot{x_1}=mg+\frac{m(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{2}-\frac{m}{2}\ddot{x_{1}} $$
$$
m\ddot{x_2}=mg-\frac{m(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{2}
$$
diving by ##m##$$
\ddot{x_1}=g+\frac{(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\ddot{x_{1}} \implies 2\ddot{x_1}-\frac{1}{2}\ddot{x_{2}}=g$$
$$
\ddot{x_2}=g-\frac{(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{2}\implies\frac{3}{2}\ddot{x_{2}}-\frac{1}{2}\ddot{x_{1}}=g
$$

From here on its easy to find out ##\ddot{x_{1}}## and ##\ddot{x_{2}}##. However, I am not sure whether the way I did it is correct. I am unsure if the constraint ##\dot{x_{2}}=\dot{x_{1}}+\dot\theta_{2}r## really need to be there and I am also unsure how to go on from here to ##n=3## and for general ##n\in \mathbb{N}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matejxx1 said:
Homework Statement:: Determine the motion of yoyos for $n=1,2,3$
Relevant Equations:: ##J=\frac{mr^2}{2}##
##J\ddot\theta=Fr##

I have trouble solving this problem any help would be appreciated.Problem statement

##J=\frac{mr^2}{2}##

a) Determine the motion of yoyos for ##n=1,2,3##

The case for ##n=1## is simple, however, I am having trouble with ##n=2## and ##n=3##.

for ##n=2## I started by drawing all the forces:

and then I wrote out the equations of motions.

##1## yoyo:
$$
m\ddot{x_1}=F_{g_{1}}+F_{s_{12}}-F_{s_{0}}$$
$$
J\ddot\theta_{1}=F_{s_{0}}r
$$

##2## yoyo:
$$
m\ddot{x_2}=F_{g_{2}}-F_{s_{21}}$$
$$
J\ddot\theta_{2}=F_{s_{21}}r
$$

What I wanted to do here was also introduce a constraint ##\dot{x_{2}}=\dot{x_{1}}+\dot\theta_{2}r##, however, I am not sure whether this is correct. It feels right because the speed of the 2nd one is going to depend on how fast the 2nd yoyo spins and how fast the 1st one moves. From here I continued

$$
\ddot\theta_{1}r=\ddot{x_{1}} \hspace{2cm} J\ddot\theta_{1}=F_{s_{0}}r\implies F_{s_{0}}=\frac{J}{r^2}\ddot{x_{1}}$$
$$
\ddot\theta_{2}r=\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}}\implies\ddot\theta_{2}=\frac{\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}}}{r}\implies F_{s_{21}}=\frac{J(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{r^2}
$$

Plugging both forces into the equations of motions and using that ##|F_{s_{21}}|=|F_{s_{12}}|## I got

$$
m\ddot{x_1}=F_{g_{1}}+F_{s_{12}}-F_{s_{0}}\implies m\ddot{x_1}=mg+\frac{J(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{r^2}-\frac{J}{r^2}\ddot{x_{1}} $$
$$
m\ddot{x_2}=F_{g_{2}}-F_{s_{21}}\implies m\ddot{x_2}=mg-\frac{J(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{r^2}
$$

Plugging in ##J=\frac{mr^2}{2}##$$
m\ddot{x_1}=mg+\frac{m(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{2}-\frac{m}{2}\ddot{x_{1}} $$
$$
m\ddot{x_2}=mg-\frac{m(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{2}
$$
diving by ##m##$$
\ddot{x_1}=g+\frac{(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{2}-\frac{1}{2}\ddot{x_{1}} \implies 2\ddot{x_1}-\frac{1}{2}\ddot{x_{2}}=g$$
$$
\ddot{x_2}=g-\frac{(\ddot{x_{2}}-\ddot{x_{1}})}{2}\implies\frac{3}{2}\ddot{x_{2}}-\frac{1}{2}\ddot{x_{1}}=g
$$

From here on its easy to find out ##\ddot{x_{1}}## and ##\ddot{x_{2}}##. However, I am not sure whether the way I did it is correct. I am unsure if the constraint ##\dot{x_{2}}=\dot{x_{1}}+\dot\theta_{2}r## really need to be there and I am also unsure how to go on from here to ##n=3## and for general ##n\in \mathbb{N}##.
Looks fine to me, though I haven't checked all the algebra.
To get the general case, consider the ith yoyo and write the equations for how it interacts with its neighbours.
Your problem will be that in general the individual yoyos could be doing all sorts of motions out of phase with each other. For simplicity, you could assume they are synchronised some way.

That was what I was having trouble with. If I assume that I can use the constraint ##\dot{x_i}=\dot{x_{i-1}}+r*\dot\theta## then I could write all the equations with ##\ddot{x_i}##. The thing that is troubling me the most is where it is correct to assume that ##\dot{x_i}=\dot{x_{i-1}}+r*\dot\theta_{i}##.

Matejxx1 said:
That was what I was having trouble with. If I assume that I can use the constraint ##\dot{x_i}=\dot{x_{i-1}}+r*\dot\theta## then I could write all the equations with ##\ddot{x_i}##. The thing that is troubling me the most is where it is correct to assume that ##\dot{x_i}=\dot{x_{i-1}}+r*\dot\theta_{i}##.
You can think of the string tangent to a yoyo as a surface it is rolling along. Its speed relative to the surface is ##r*\dot\theta_{i}##.
But won't you still have a problem in the sheer complexity of the different motions they can have at one instant? It will be like a series of blocks joined by springs, that has many modes of oscillation.

I don't think it is supposed to be that hard. This is just an introductory course to mechanics. For a general i I was thinking of just writing the equations as mxi¨=mg+Fi,i+1−Fi,i−1 ##m\ddot{x_i}=mg+F_{i,i+1}-F_{i,i-1}## and using ##J\ddot\theta_{i}=rF_{i,i-1}## where again I would write ##\ddot\theta_{i}=\frac{\ddot{x_{i}}-\ddot{x_{i-1}}}{r^2}## as before to get a system of linear equations for ##\ddot{x_{i}}##. Not sure if that correct though.

It's always useful to solve a similar but simpler problem first to understand what is happening. Make sure you understand the physics of what is happening before blindly applying any equations.

I would solve for one yoyo to understand the tension in its supporting string throughout the motion.

I would then work from bottom up where the tension of the lower yoyo string becomes a downward force on the yoyo above, and so on. I could just add it to the weight of the higher yoyo taking care not to include it in that yoyo's moment of inertia. I will need to account for the fact that the lower yoyo is not fixed to something static but to something accelerating - it's simple: see Frames of Reference: Linear Acceleration View

I would also need to understand exactly what happens at the moment the yoyo "stops descending and starts ascending" where, I suspect, the yoyo becomes a dead weight for a moment during which the string tension is due to the yoyo's weight, or the tension jumps from the "descending" value to the "ascending" value. It's probably quite complex as, if the string is fixed to the axle, the moment arm will vary through the half of a revolution. It's probably best to assume a loop and the yoyo snatches the string.

A quick search finds Yo-Yo Type Problems which calculates the tension is constant during the fall at mg/3 so, during the fall (and during the rise - calculate the rise tension), the yoyo can be considered as a dead weight.

Presumably there is an impulse of mg at the moment of reversal which has to be considered. Or does it get lost in the change from "descending" tension to "ascending" tension?

Buying a few yoyos and trying it out would be fun :cool: especially with yoyos with different string lengths.

As you say " I don't think it is supposed to be that hard " you may find it to be a badly worded question and you are only required to calculate what happens during the falling and not consider when any yoyo rises, not least as you are not given string lengths. That is much simpler and you can ignore what happens when each yoyo reaches its lowest point.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
good task for Lagrange equations

Likes etotheipi
Matejxx1 said:
This is just an introductory course to mechanics.

1. What causes the yoyos to move when suspended from the ceiling?

The motion of the yoyos is caused by the force of gravity acting on them. When the yoyos are released from a higher position, they are pulled towards the ground due to the Earth's gravitational pull.

2. How does the motion of the yoyos change if they are suspended from different heights?

The motion of the yoyos will be affected by the height from which they are suspended. The higher the yoyos are suspended, the longer it will take for them to reach the ground due to the increase in gravitational potential energy.

3. Is the motion of the yoyos affected by air resistance?

Yes, the motion of the yoyos can be affected by air resistance. The yoyos will experience air resistance as they fall through the air, which can slow down their descent and alter their motion.

4. How does the mass of the yoyos affect their motion when suspended from the ceiling?

The mass of the yoyos does not affect their motion when suspended from the ceiling. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. As the yoyos are suspended and not subject to any external forces, their mass does not affect their motion.

5. Can the motion of the yoyos be described using mathematical equations?

Yes, the motion of the yoyos can be described using mathematical equations such as the equations of motion and the laws of physics. These equations can help predict the motion of the yoyos and explain the factors that affect their motion.