Design Project Help: Electrical Resistance Measuring Device

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a hand-held device that measures electrical resistance using various sensors and outputs information through an LED and/or buzzer. The device is not currently available on the market and the conversation seeks ideas for potential applications, such as a continuity tester or a baby bottle that lights up when the contents are too hot. The conversation also suggests making the device small enough to fit on the tip of a finger and using it to indicate surface temperature. The necessary components for the device are also mentioned.
shewdz
Hi all,

im looking for a bit of help and advice. I am currectly carrying out a design profect that has the following brief,

a device that measures a change in electrical resistance using a therminstor, pressure sensor (QTC pills), or a light sensor and uses an LED and/or buzzer as an output

it has to be hand held.

not currently availible on the market.

these are the only real factors that affect the design of the product.

the help i require is thinking of possible devices or applications. the device can be a novelty toy, technical device... just about anything. i feel there must be some great ideas out there, I am just struggling.

so far i have thought off...

continuity tester for household use

baby bottle that lights up when the contents is too hot

novelty coatser that lights up when a drink is placed on it

any help would be much appreciated.

Adam

Engineering news on Phys.org
What's wrong with those applications? Maybe you could make it fit on the tip of your finger (like a thimble) and tell you when a surface is hot or not. I'd make the LED blink proportional to how hot it is though (i.e. if it's solid, it'll for sure burn you, if it's blinking slowly, someone's probably got a fever).

The device itself would be pretty easy to implement with at a small microcontroller, LED and thermistor. Might need an extra resistor, op-amp, and probably a battery and/or voltage regulator.

Hello Adam,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your design project. I can see that you have a clear understanding of the project brief and the factors that will impact your design. A device that measures electrical resistance using a thermistor, pressure sensor, or light sensor and provides an output through an LED or buzzer sounds like an interesting and versatile project.

Some potential applications for such a device could include a soil moisture sensor for gardening, a portable water quality tester for outdoor activities, or a safety device for checking the integrity of electrical circuits. You could also consider incorporating wireless connectivity to make the device more user-friendly and convenient.

In terms of design, you could explore different form factors such as a handheld device, a wearable device, or a compact device that can be attached to other objects. You could also experiment with different materials and colors to make the device visually appealing and unique.

I hope these ideas have sparked some inspiration for your project. Good luck with your design and feel free to reach out for further assistance. I am always excited to see new and innovative ideas being developed. Keep up the good work!

Best,

Related to Design Project Help: Electrical Resistance Measuring Device

1. What is the purpose of an electrical resistance measuring device?

An electrical resistance measuring device is used to measure the amount of resistance in an electrical circuit. This can help determine if the circuit is functioning properly, and can also be used to troubleshoot any issues or malfunctions within the circuit.

2. How does an electrical resistance measuring device work?

An electrical resistance measuring device works by passing a small amount of electrical current through the circuit and measuring the voltage drop across a known resistance. This allows for the calculation of the total resistance within the circuit.

3. What are the key components of an electrical resistance measuring device?

The key components of an electrical resistance measuring device include a power source, a known resistance, a voltmeter, and a circuit under test. These components work together to measure the resistance within the circuit.

4. Is an electrical resistance measuring device accurate?

Yes, an electrical resistance measuring device is designed to be accurate within a certain range. However, factors such as temperature and external interference can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

5. Can an electrical resistance measuring device be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, there are different types of electrical resistance measuring devices that are designed for use with both AC and DC circuits. It is important to select the appropriate device for the type of circuit being measured.