Designing a Zeeman Slower for Scientists

In summary, the conversation is about designing a Zeeman slower, a device that uses laser cooling and the Zeeman effect to reduce the velocity of Sr87 atoms from 900m/s to a few tens of meters per second over a distance of 30cm. The person is seeking advice on how to design the Zeeman slower and has asked for help in a forum.
mjntsc
Hellow,i want to know how to design a Zeeman slower,a device which takes Sr87 atoms with an average velocity of about 900m/s and over a distance of 30cm ,reduces their velocity to a few tens of meters per second in a continuous manner via laser cooling and the Zeeman effect
I hope i can receive your letter soon.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try a Google search on "Zeeman slower"? The first page of results has some entries that look promising.

By the way, just as a friendly tip... when you're posting a question in a forum of any kind, it helps to put the subject of your question in the subject line of the posting, instead of something completely uninformative like "Help?" :smile:

Last edited:
Zeeman slower?

I will use Zeeman slower solenoid in our experiment,but i do not know how to design it. So i hope you can tell me how to design it. Thank you!

Related to Designing a Zeeman Slower for Scientists

1. What is a Zeeman slower?

A Zeeman slower is a device used in atomic physics experiments to slow down a beam of atoms. It works by using a combination of magnetic and laser fields to reduce the kinetic energy of the atoms, allowing for more precise measurements and control.

2. What is the purpose of a Zeeman slower?

The main purpose of a Zeeman slower is to decrease the speed of a beam of atoms to a more manageable level. This is important for experiments that require precise control and measurement of the atoms, such as in atomic clocks, quantum computing, and precision spectroscopy.

3. How does a Zeeman slower work?

A Zeeman slower works by using a combination of a magnetic field and laser light to interact with the atoms in the beam. The magnetic field splits the energy levels of the atoms, while the laser light is tuned to a specific frequency to cause the atoms to emit or absorb photons. This interaction slows down the atoms, reducing their kinetic energy.

4. What are the key components of a Zeeman slower?

The key components of a Zeeman slower include a magnetic field source, such as an electromagnet or permanent magnet, and a laser beam with the correct frequency and power. The slower also requires a chamber to contain the atoms, and a detection system to measure the slowing process.

5. How can one design a Zeeman slower for specific experiments?

Designing a Zeeman slower for specific experiments requires knowledge of the properties of the atoms being used, such as their energy levels and transition frequencies, as well as the desired speed of the slowed atoms. This information can then be used to determine the appropriate magnetic field strength and laser frequency for the slower. Additionally, the design should take into account the physical limitations of the available components and the experimental setup.