Designing circuits after 101 class

In summary, digital electronics can be difficult to design for because of the complications that can arise from using real-world circuits. However, with practice and a good understanding of timing errors, one can become a skilled designer.
Schfra
Im just finishing up my first digital electronics class right now. I know how to design the logic for basic circuits and some slightly more complex ones.

I don’t quite understand how to design actual circuits for a few reasons.

1.) When we design “circuits” in class, we just draw them without resistors so I’m not sure where they should be placed in an actual circuit.

2.) We have a lab for the class, and when we design circuits for it, sometimes they don’t work like they should on paper. The TAs often tell us to simplify the circuit because without a simpler circuit there are things like timing errors.

So how do I go from a logic diagram to a circuit diagram with resistors?

And also, how do I avoid things that are correct on paper but cause problems while creating the actual circuit?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Schfra said:
So how do I go from a logic diagram to a circuit diagram with resistors?
If you are using physical chips that contain the logic gates, you don't need resistors (except in special cases)

And also, how do I avoid things that are correct on paper but cause problems while creating the actual circuit?
Ah ... do actual electronics for several years while learning about timing errors

Likes Schfra
Usually, device spec sheets show basic wiring. A good resource outlining various problems that are encountered in digital circuit design is Texas Instrument's
"Designing with Logic".

Likes jim hardy, anorlunda and Schfra
Asymptotic said:
Usually, device spec sheets show basic wiring. A good resource outlining various problems that are encountered in digital circuit design is Texas Instrument's
"Designing with Logic".
phinds said:
If you are using physical chips that contain the logic gates, you don't need resistors (except in special cases)

Ah ... do actual electronics for several years while learning about timing errors
I was wondering why some of the circuits had no resistors in them.

Is this because there is resistance built into the gates?

Schfra said:
I was wondering why some of the circuits had no resistors in them.

Is this because there is resistance built into the gates?
Built into the chips, along with transistors. If you are really going to learn digital design you have to learn what's inside the chips, else you're not likely to understand why timing problems occur. "Ideal logic" doesn't exist in the real world, although as you've already been told, for simple circuits it looks a lot like it does.

Likes Asymptotic and Schfra
Schfra said:
I don’t quite understand how to design actual circuits for a few reasons.
You will get better quickly in the next few classes you take. In the mean time, keep on asking questions -- learning to "ask the right questions" is a great skill that you will use in many of your classes.

Here is a link to an old thread that you may enjoy. In it we discuss real-world circuits, and what may be wrong with them (and how to fix them). You probably won't understand all of the circuits just yet, but I think you'll start to get a feel for the kinds of questions to ask about such circuits...

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/bad-circuits-test-your-knowledge.178516/

:smile:

Likes Schfra
berkeman said:
Here is a link to an old thread that you may enjoy. In it we discuss real-world circuits, and what may be wrong with them (and how to fix them). You probably won't understand all of the circuits just yet, but I think you'll start to get a feel for the kinds of questions to ask about such circuits...

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/bad-circuits-test-your-knowledge.178516/
Maybe you should re-stickie this.

Likes jim hardy, Asymptotic and berkeman

1. What is the purpose of designing circuits after a 101 class?

Circuit design after a 101 class is essential for developing a deeper understanding of electronic circuits and their functionality. It allows you to apply the theoretical knowledge gained in the introductory class to real-world applications.

2. What are the key components to consider when designing a circuit?

Some key components to consider when designing a circuit include the power source, resistors, capacitors, inductors, transistors, and integrated circuits. Each of these components has a specific role in the circuit and must be carefully chosen and placed to ensure proper functionality.

3. How do you determine the appropriate circuit topology for a given application?

The appropriate circuit topology for a given application depends on several factors, including the desired function, available components, and budget. It is essential to consider the specifications and requirements of the circuit and choose a topology that can meet those needs efficiently.

4. How do you troubleshoot circuit design issues?

To troubleshoot circuit design issues, it is important to first check for any loose connections or faulty components. If those are not the issue, you can use tools such as a multimeter to measure voltage, current, and resistance at various points in the circuit. This can help pinpoint the problem and guide you in finding a solution.

5. How do you ensure the safety of your circuit design?

Safety should always be a top priority when designing circuits. Some ways to ensure the safety of your circuit design include using proper insulation, choosing components with appropriate voltage and current ratings, and following safety guidelines such as wearing protective gear and working in a well-ventilated area.