Determine the distance the sled will slide before coming to rest.

• Thread starter ExtendedG
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a sled starting at the top of a 6 degree inclined hill with an initial speed of 12 m/s. The coefficient of friction between the sled and the snow is 0.14. The goal is to determine the distance the sled will slide before coming to rest. The approach involves using the equation F=ma and the definition of coefficient of friction. The free body diagram is used to write equations for the forces, which include the force of gravity and the force of friction. Due to the definition of coefficient of friction, the mass may cancel out in the equations.
ExtendedG

Homework Statement

A sled takes off from the top of a hill inclined at 6 degrees to the horizontal. The sled's initial speed is 12 m/s. The coefficient of friction between the sled and the snow is 0.14. Determine how far the sled will slide before coming to rest.

Homework Equations

F=ma
vFsquared=vIsquared + 2a(d)
vf= velocity final vI= initial velocity a=accel. d=displacement.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I didn't get very far because I don't have enough variables, I need mass! I obviously need to find accelerating, what would my f=ma statement be? I thought it would be Fapp - Ffriction = ma...help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps worth remembering the definition of coefficient of friction. It's the ratio of two forces one of which depends on the mass. This means that mass sometimes cancels in some problems so it's not allways needed.

Draw the free body diagram and write equations for the forces.

CWatters said:
Perhaps worth remembering the definition of coefficient of friction. It's the ratio of two forces one of which depends on the mass. This means that mass sometimes cancels in some problems so it's not allways needed.

Draw the free body diagram and write equations for the forces.
F=ma
Fg - Ff = ma
mgsin(theta) - umgcos(theta) = ma
I have two masses to remove, not just one :/ So i can't just simply simplify to:
gsin(theta) - ugcos(theta) = a right?

1. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics is the study of motion and the forces that cause it.

2. What is an example of a kinematic quantity?

An example of a kinematic quantity is velocity, which is the rate of change of an object's position over time.

3. What is an example of a dynamic quantity?

An example of a dynamic quantity is force, which is a push or pull acting on an object that can cause it to change its motion.

4. How are kinematic and dynamic equations related?

Kinematic equations can be used to solve for unknown variables in a dynamic scenario, as they provide a relationship between motion and time. Additionally, the forces involved in a dynamic scenario can be used to calculate the kinematic quantities of an object.

5. How is kinematics and dynamics used in real-world applications?

Kinematics and dynamics are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as designing vehicles and structures, analyzing sports performance, and understanding the motion of celestial bodies. They are also used in fields such as robotics, biomechanics, and aerospace engineering.