Determine the net charge contained within the cube

In summary, the surface of the cube has an electric field parallel to the z axis, with a length of each edge measuring 3.7 m. The top face has an electric field of -40 N/C and the bottom face has +10 N/C. By using the equations for flux and charge enclosed, it was determined that the net charge contained within the cube is -6x10^13, which is a large negative number due to a mistake in adding the two flux values together.
22steve

Homework Statement

At each point on the surface of the cube shown in the figure, the electric field is parallel to the z axis. The length of each edge of the cube is 3.7 m. On the top face of the cube = -40 N/C, and on the bottom face of the cube = +10 N/C. Determine the net charge contained within the cube.

Homework Equations

flux = E x A

flux = charge enclosed/ permittivity constant (epsilon-naught)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first plugged the numbers to find the flux of the the ends of the cube, then the plugged that into the second equation to find the charge enclose, but I got a really small number that wasn't right.

Physics news on Phys.org
What number you got?

-6x10^13 I meant a really big number.

I am getting ..6. ..E-9.

Flux is 684.5 (simply adding two together)
and then electric constant is 8.854E-12

Ahh, and then its negative, I didn't add the two together I was only using one. Dumb mistake, but thank you soo much!

1. What is the net charge of the cube?

The net charge of a cube is the sum of all the charges contained within the cube. This can be positive, negative, or neutral, depending on the distribution and magnitude of the charges.

2. How do you determine the net charge of a cube?

To determine the net charge of a cube, you need to first calculate the charge of each individual particle within the cube. Then, add up all the charges to get the total net charge.

3. Can the net charge of a cube be zero?

Yes, the net charge of a cube can be zero if the positive and negative charges are balanced out and cancel each other out.

4. What is the unit of measurement for net charge?

The unit of measurement for net charge is Coulomb (C), which is the standard unit for measuring electric charge.

5. How does the net charge affect the properties of the cube?

The net charge of a cube affects the electric field and the forces between particles within the cube. It also determines how the cube will interact with other charged objects or fields.