Determine the work done to move the particle

In summary, the problem asks to determine the work done to move a particle from x = 0 to x = 9.2 m, given a graph of the net force acting on the particle. The force increases linearly from zero to 284 N at x = 3.0 m, remains constant at 284 N from x = 3.0 m to x = 7.0 m, and then decreases linearly to zero at x = 9.2 m. Using the formula Work = ∫F(x)dx, the area under the graph can be measured to find the work done.
Bones

Homework Statement

The net force exerted on a particle acts in the positive x direction. Its magnitude increases linearly from zero at x = 0, to 284 N at x = 3.0 m. It remains constant at 284 N from x = 3.0 m to x = 7.0 m and then decreases linearly to zero at point A where x = 9.2 m. Determine the work done to move the particle from x = 0 to x = 9.2 m by graphically determining the area under the F versus x graph.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the graph and it looks like a trapezoid. I am not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Bones said:

Homework Statement

The net force exerted on a particle acts in the positive x direction. Its magnitude increases linearly from zero at x = 0, to 284 N at x = 3.0 m. It remains constant at 284 N from x = 3.0 m to x = 7.0 m and then decreases linearly to zero at point A where x = 9.2 m. Determine the work done to move the particle from x = 0 to x = 9.2 m by graphically determining the area under the F versus x graph.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the graph and it looks like a trapezoid. I am not sure where to go from here.

Welcome to PF.

What is the area then of your trapezoid?

Isn't Work the product of the Force multiplied by the distance over which it acts?
So when Force is a function of distance isn't it:

[tex]Work = \int F_{(x)} dx [/tex]

And this can be found graphically by measuring the area under the graph.

Yeah, I figured it out. It just helps sometimes to find a good example for guidelines. Thanks ;)

1. What is the definition of work done in physics?

The definition of work done in physics is the measure of the energy transferred to or from an object by means of a force acting on the object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. How is work done related to the movement of a particle?

Work done is directly related to the movement of a particle. The amount of work done is equal to the force applied to the particle multiplied by the distance the particle moves in the direction of the force.

3. What is the equation for calculating work done in moving a particle?

The equation for calculating work done is W = F x d, where W is work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

4. What are the units for measuring work done?

The units for measuring work done are joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the English system. Both units represent a combination of force and distance.

5. Can work done be negative?

Yes, work done can be negative. This occurs when the applied force and the direction of movement of the particle are in opposite directions, resulting in the particle losing energy instead of gaining it. Negative work done is often referred to as work against the force.