Determine whether the given map is an isomorphism

In summary, the conversation is discussing the problem of determining whether a given map is an isomorphism of two binary structures and finding a counterexample to show that it is not an isomorphism. The definition of an isomorphism is also mentioned. The conversation also involves trying to understand the meaning of the given instructions and finding a contradiction to prove that the map is not onto.
jeff1evesque
Hello,
I just cracked open this abstract algebra book, and saw a problem I have no idea how to solve.

Instruction:
Determine whether the given map [tex]\phi[/tex] is an isomorphism of the first binary structure with the second. If it is not an isomorphism, why not? (Note: F is the set of all functions f mapping [tex]R[/tex] into [tex]R[/tex] that have derivatives of all orders.Problem:
[tex]<F, +> with <F, +>[/tex] where [tex]\phi(f)(x) = \int_{0}^{x}f(t)dt[/tex]

Definition:
An isomorphism is bijective mapping (one to one, and onto), and also homomorphic.

Solution:
The answer is no because F does not map F onto F? I am very bad at this, what does the following show,
[tex]\phi(f)(0) = 0[/tex]

Does that show it is not onto? Can someone explain to me why this is not an isomorphism (I am terrible at this- all I know is the definition from wikipedia of bijective mapping and homomorphis- but I cannot apply it to these problems)?

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you find a counterexample to show that phi is not one to one? That is, find two distinct functions in F, call them f and g, such that phi(f) = phi(g)

Have you tried checking if it is a homomorphism?

jeff1evesque said:
what does the following show,
[tex]\phi(f)(0) = 0[/tex]
It shows that every function in the image of phi has the value 0 at 0.

I can't seem to find a counterexample. I mean if I let [tex]f(t) = t^{2}[/tex] and let [tex]g(t)[/tex] equal to anything else, it would seem [tex]f(t) = t^{2} \neq g(t),[/tex] unless t = 0- but that doesn't make the function equal, it just shows for a particular domain value, the functions are equal.

jeff1evesque said:
I can't seem to find a counterexample. I mean if I let [tex]f(t) = t^{2}[/tex] and let [tex]g(t)[/tex] equal to anything else, it would seem [tex]f(t) = t^{2} \neq g(t),[/tex] unless t = 0- but that doesn't make the function equal, it just shows for a particular domain value, the functions are equal.

Do you know what it means for [itex]\phi[/itex] to be onto? It means that for ANY infinitely differentiable function g we can find a function f such that [itex]\phi(f) = g[/itex]. You have shown that [itex]\phi(f)[/itex] must be 0 when evaluated at 0. Are all infinitely differentiable functions 0 at 0? If you can find some function which is not, then you have your counterexample.

I know onto means that for every element in the domain, there must exist some corresponding element in the range. I am confused by the directions,
...that have derivatives of all orders.
Does this mean f will have derivatives of all order, or will g have derivatives of all order?

You have shown that [itex]\phi(f)[/itex] must be 0 when evaluated at 0.
Why do I have to show this?

jeff1evesque said:
Does this mean f will have derivatives of all order, or will g have derivatives of all order?
f and g are both in F as [itex]\phi[/itex] is a function from F to F, so both f and g must have derivatives of all orders.

Why do I have to show this?
You don't HAVE to show it, but you mentioned [itex]\phi(f)(0) = 0[/itex] for all f yourself, which is exactly the same as saying that [itex]\phi(f)[/tex] is 0 when evaluated at 0 for all f so I assumed you had shown it and suspected it could be used.

I know onto means that for every element in the domain, there must exist some corresponding element in the range. I am confused by the directions,
Maybe this was simply a mixup when you typed in the definition, but that is true for all functions and not really the definition of onto. A function [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] is said to be onto if for all elements b of B we can find some element a of A such that f(a) =b. For your problem it means that for all infinitely differentiable functions g (remember this is the group we are considering) we can find an infinitely differentiable function f such that [itex]\phi(f) = g[/itex]. We don't know what g is as it's arbitrary but we have:
[tex]g(x) = \int_0^x f(t)dt[/tex]
which suggests trying to substitute x=0.
[tex]g(0) = \int_0^0 f(t) dt = 0[/tex]
Thus we know that for all infinitely differentiable functions g we have g(0)=0, but is this really true? If not then we have a contradiction so [itex]\phi[/itex] can't be onto. Can you find an infinitely differentiable function that is not 0 at 0? (A very simple example will do)

How about we let the function [tex]g = 2t + 1.[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex]
g(0) = \int_0^0 f(t) dt = \int_0^0 [2t + 1] dt = t^{2} + t = 0
[/tex]

But it's suppose to not equal 0, so we can produce the proposed contradiction. I don't know why but this is not obvious to me, I can't find the contradiction.

jeff1evesque said:
How about we let the function [tex]g = 2t + 1.[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex]
g(0) = \int_0^0 f(t) dt = \int_0^0 [2t + 1] dt = t^{2} + t = 0
[/tex]

But it's suppose to not equal 0, so we can produce the proposed contradiction. I don't know why but this is not obvious to me, I can't find the contradiction.

You can't see the contradiction in the following?
- Let g(x) = 2x + 1
- Assume [itex]\phi[/itex] is onto.
- Then there exists some function f such that [itex]\phi(f) = g[/itex]
- We have, as you showed, g(0)=0.
- We also have by plugging in x=0: g(0) = 2*0+1 = 1
- Since g is a function g(0) can't be both 0 and 1 so we have a contradiction.
- Thus [itex]\phi[/itex] cannot be onto.

rasmhop said:
You can't see the contradiction in the following?
- Let g(x) = 2x + 1
- Assume [itex]\phi[/itex] is onto.
- Then there exists some function f such that [itex]\phi(f) = g[/itex]
- We have, as you showed, g(0)=0.
- We also have by plugging in x=0: g(0) = 2*0+1 = 1
- Since g is a function g(0) can't be both 0 and 1 so we have a contradiction.
- Thus [itex]\phi[/itex] cannot be onto.

Onto (as you defined) simply means for all elements b of B we can find some element a of A such that f(a) = b. In this way of thinking, our b is essentially
[tex]
\int_0^x [2t + 1] dt, [/tex]
and not defined as [tex]2x + 1[/tex] (or is it)? So why do we have to substitute zero into both ?

1. What is an isomorphism in the context of a map?

An isomorphism is a type of map between mathematical objects, such as sets, groups, or vector spaces. It is a bijective map, meaning that it is both one-to-one and onto. This means that every element in the first object has a unique corresponding element in the second object, and vice versa.

2. How can I determine if a given map is an isomorphism?

To determine if a map is an isomorphism, you must check if it is both one-to-one and onto. This can be done by checking if every element in the first object has a unique corresponding element in the second object, and vice versa. You can also check if the map preserves the structure of the objects, such as preserving addition, multiplication, or other operations.

3. What is the importance of determining if a map is an isomorphism?

Determining if a map is an isomorphism is important because it shows that two objects have the same underlying structure. This allows for easier understanding and comparison of the objects, as well as for the transfer of information and properties between the objects. It also allows for the use of isomorphisms in solving mathematical problems and proofs.

4. Can a map be an isomorphism between two different types of mathematical objects?

Yes, a map can be an isomorphism between two different types of mathematical objects. For example, a map can be an isomorphism between a group and a vector space, as long as the map satisfies the conditions of bijectivity and structure preservation.

5. Are all bijective maps considered to be isomorphisms?

No, not all bijective maps are considered to be isomorphisms. In order for a bijective map to be considered an isomorphism, it must also preserve the structure of the objects being mapped. If the map does not preserve the structure, then it is not considered an isomorphism.