Determining reaction forces and angle

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the mass of box K and the reaction forces at supports G and N in an assembly shown in Figure 1 with three cables. The mass of box L is given as 350 kg and the angle teta is 30 degrees. The conversation provides steps on how to solve for the mass of K and the reaction forces at G and N by drawing free body diagrams and using equations such as F=ma and \SigmaFy=0. The conversation also addresses the importance of considering the 3rd Law in solving for the forces.
brostingy

Homework Statement

An assembly is shown in Figure 1, GH, HK and HNL are three cables. The mass of box L is 350 kg,
a) Determine the mass of box K in order to make angle teta = 30 degrees
b) Determine the reaction forces at supports G and N.

i started by converting the 350kg to a force using F=ma, but stuck there...

help

digram attached to post

Attachments

• ass for physics forum.doc
    50 KB · Views: 311
Physics news on Phys.org
First, do FBD of the pulley that K is on.

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Fy=0=mLgsin30-mkg

That solves mk.

Reaction at G is x-component of the above FBD Gx = mLgcos30.

I'm sure you can figure out Rn now.

Hope that helps.

ye thanks, i think i follow you, but just to clarify,

FDB is:

mass of L x gravity x sin30 - mass of K x gravity = 0

reaction at G:

G = mass of L x gravity x cos30

Rn:

should be:

y + x values...

sorry to sound dumb... :(

I won't give you the answers, but I'll give you the steps.

1. Draw FBD of Pulley K
  2. Solve for x and y components to find mass of k and Rg. HINT: the magnitude (or hypotenuse) of the rope that's on 30 deg is the transferred weight of L
  3. Draw FBD of Pulley L. You need a reaction force going up for Rn, and two forces (one on an angle of 30 deg-Also, remember 3rd Law) caused by the weight of Box L.
  4. Split this diagram into x and y components and solve for Rnx and Rny, because the rest is know.

Do that make sense? Let me know what you get.

To solve this problem, you will need to use the principles of static equilibrium. This means that the sum of all forces acting on the system must be equal to zero and the sum of all torques (rotational forces) must also be equal to zero.

To determine the mass of box K, we can use the fact that the tension in cable GH must be equal to the tension in cable HK since they are connected to the same point. This means that the vertical component of the force in cable GH must be equal to the vertical component of the force in cable HK. We can set up an equation to represent this:

Tsin(theta) = Tcos(theta)

Where T is the tension in both cables and theta is the angle of the cables (which is given as 30 degrees). We can rearrange this equation to solve for the mass of box K:

mK = (Tsin(theta))/g

Where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This will give you the mass of box K in kilograms.

To determine the reaction forces at supports G and N, we can use the principles of static equilibrium again. The sum of all forces in the vertical direction must be equal to zero, so we can set up an equation to represent this:

Fg + FN = mg

Where Fg is the force at support G, FN is the force at support N, and mg is the weight of box L. We can also use the fact that the sum of all torques must be equal to zero to solve for these forces. The torque due to the weight of box L (mg) will create a clockwise rotation, so the torque due to the reaction forces must create an equal and opposite counterclockwise rotation. This can be represented by the equation:

Fg(d) + FN(d) = mg(L/2)

Where d is the distance from the supports to the center of mass of box L and L is the length of the assembly. Solving these equations simultaneously will give you the reaction forces at supports G and N.

Remember, to solve problems like this, it is important to draw a clear and accurate free body diagram and use the principles of static equilibrium. I hope this helps!

Related to Determining reaction forces and angle

1. How do you determine the reaction forces and angle in a system?

To determine the reaction forces and angle in a system, you must first draw a free body diagram and identify all the external and internal forces acting on the system. Then, you can apply Newton's laws of motion to solve for the unknown forces and angles.

2. What are some common methods for determining reaction forces and angle?

Some common methods for determining reaction forces and angle include using equations of equilibrium, summing forces in the x and y directions, and using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. Can reaction forces and angle change during a reaction?

Yes, reaction forces and angle can change during a reaction as the forces acting on the system change. This can be due to external forces, changes in the system's geometry, or changes in the system's mass.

4. How do you handle distributed loads when determining reaction forces and angle?

To handle distributed loads when determining reaction forces and angle, you must first determine the total load acting on the system. Then, you can convert the distributed load into an equivalent point load and apply the methods for determining reaction forces and angle.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when determining reaction forces and angle?

Some common mistakes to avoid when determining reaction forces and angle include not considering all the forces acting on the system, forgetting to include the weight of the system, and not properly converting distributed loads into equivalent point loads.