Determining the force on a loop cause by an infinite line

In summary: So now you have to do the path integral from A to C. Call the length of segment AC "a". You have an expression for the field along the path. You need to integrate that expression over the path, where you express everything in terms of "a".In summary, this conversation discusses the application of Ampere's Law to determine the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field in a scenario where an infinitely long line of current is present along the positive z-axis and a triangular loop of current is present in a counter-clockwise direction. The conversation also delves into the use of the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field and the process of finding the force on the conductors using the formula F=
mobay

Homework Statement

An infinitely long line of current $I_1=6[A]$ is following along the positive z-axis in the direction of +$\hat{a_z}$. Another current is following a triangular loop counter clockwise from the points A(0,2,2), B(0,6,2) and C(0,6,6).

Homework Equations

To start I applied Ampere's Law since an amperian path could be applied to current $I_1$ which results in
$$\vec{H}=\frac{I_1}{2\pi\rho} \hat{a_{\phi}}$$

Applying the force on two conductors formula $$F=\int{I_2 \vec{dl_2}} \times{\vec{B_1}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Where I am stuck is at segment AB, I have determined that the following for this segment $$dl=dy\,\hat{a_y}$$

The problem that I am having is determining the direction of the magnetic field vector, is it it directed in the positive $ \hat{a_z} $ because of how the problem is described or is it another direction all together? The teacher provided a solution but did not outline why they did certain steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
mobay said:
The problem that I am having is determining the direction of the magnetic field vector, is it it directed in the positive ##\hat{a_z} ## because of how the problem is described or is it another direction all together?
You know ##\vec{H}=\frac{I_1}{2\pi\rho} \hat{a_{\phi}}##. Thus, ##\hat{a_{\phi}}## gives you the direction.

Are you familiar with the magnetic field pattern of a long straight current? (Right hand rule)

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

You know ##\vec{H}=\frac{I_1}{2\pi\rho} \hat{a_{\phi}}##. Thus, ##\hat{a_{\phi}}## gives you the direction.

Are you familiar with the magnetic field pattern of a long straight current? (Right hand rule)

Do you mean that since the current is moving in the positive [itex] \hat{a_x} [/itex] that I apply the right hand rule? If so then the result is that the force is directed in the negative [itex] \hat{a_x} [/itex] direction. Therefore, [tex] \vec{B}=\frac{-{\mu}_0\,I_1}{2\pi\,y} \hat{a_x}[/tex]

At this point I integrate the and solve for segments AB and BC which results in $$\vec{F_{1,AB}}= 6{\mu}_0\,ln(3) \,\hat{a_z}$$ $$\vec{F_{1,BC}}= -4\mu \,\hat{a_y}$$

Up to this point I understand and did correctly according to the given solution, however, the final integral confounds me...After the cross product is applied and simplified my result is this $$6{\mu}_0[\int\frac{-dz}{y}\,\hat{a_y} + \int\frac{dy}{y}\,\hat{a_z} ]$$

I believe the second integration should result in [itex] 6{\mu}_0\,ln(1/3)\,\hat{a_z} [/itex] but I don't know about the about the first integral since there is the is "y" term in the denominator. Do I make that y=6 because that is where the integration started at or y=2?

mobay said:
Do you mean that since the current is moving in the positive [itex] \hat{a_x} [/itex] that I apply the right hand rule? If so then the result is that the force is directed in the negative [itex] \hat{a_x} [/itex] direction.
Typo? The current is in the direction of [itex] \hat{a_z} [/itex]. The field is in the negative x direction.

Therefore, [tex] \vec{B}=\frac{-{\mu}_0\,I_1}{2\pi\,y} \hat{a_x}[/tex]
OK

At this point I integrate the and solve for segments AB and BC which results in $$\vec{F_{1,AB}}= 6{\mu}_0\,ln(3) \,\hat{a_z}$$ $$\vec{F_{1,BC}}= -4\mu \,\hat{a_y}$$
I can't check the above, since ##I_2## was not specified.

Up to this point I understand and did correctly according to the given solution, however, the final integral confounds me...After the cross product is applied and simplified my result is this $$6{\mu}_0[\int\frac{-dz}{y}\,\hat{a_y} + \int\frac{dy}{y}\,\hat{a_z} ]$$

I believe the second integration should result in [itex] 6{\mu}_0\,ln(1/3)\,\hat{a_z} [/itex] but I don't know about the about the first integral since there is the is "y" term in the denominator. Do I make that y=6 because that is where the integration started at or y=2?
For the first integral you'll need to relate ##y## and ##z## along the path CA.

TSny said:
Typo? The current is in the direction of [itex] \hat{a_z} [/itex]. The field is in the negative x direction.OKI can't check the above, since ##I_2## was not specified.For the first integral you'll need to relate ##y## and ##z## along the path CA.
Ok I will see what I can do, sorry I forgot but [itex] I_2 = 2 [A] and I_1=6\pi [A][/itex]. I am still trying to get a handle on latex

mobay said:
[itex] I_2 = 2 [A] and I_1=6\pi [A][/itex].
OK. Your results so far look good.

What is the formula for determining the force on a loop caused by an infinite line?

The formula for determining the force on a loop caused by an infinite line is F = (μ_0 * I * L) / (2π * R), where F is the force, μ_0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the infinite line, L is the length of the loop, and R is the distance between the loop and the infinite line.

How does the distance between the loop and the infinite line affect the force?

The force is inversely proportional to the distance between the loop and the infinite line. This means that the force decreases as the distance between the two increases. Therefore, the closer the loop is to the infinite line, the stronger the force will be.

What is the direction of the force on the loop caused by the infinite line?

The force on the loop caused by the infinite line is perpendicular to both the loop and the infinite line. This means that the force will be either pulling or pushing the loop away from the infinite line, depending on the direction of the current in the infinite line.

What happens to the force if the current in the infinite line is doubled?

If the current in the infinite line is doubled, the force on the loop will also double. This is because the formula for determining the force includes the current as a variable, showing that there is a direct relationship between the current and the force.

Can the force on the loop caused by the infinite line be negative?

Yes, the force on the loop caused by the infinite line can be negative. This would occur if the current in the infinite line is flowing in the opposite direction of the current in the loop. In this case, the force would be pulling the loop towards the infinite line instead of pushing it away.