Determining the Resistance of an Electric Blanket

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Johny Prime
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A typical electric blanket consumes 50 W of power when operating. What is the overall resistance of the blanket if it is designed to be plugged into a standard powerpoint?
Power = 50 watts
Voltage = 240 v (standard powerpoint)

Homework Equations


I (current) = Voltage/ Resistance
Power = V x I

The Attempt at a Solution


So we are trying to find the overall resistance:
R = V/I
R = 240/I
P/V = I ?
50/240 = I ?
I = 0.2083333 (I don't think that looks right)
So then, R= 240/0.2083333
R= 1152??
Resistance is 1152 ohms?
These answers seem very strange to me and I am uncertain as to whether my logic is sound or not.
If my logic is incorrect, could someone inform me of the logic of the correct way? Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
It is correct.
Why does it seem strange to you?
I wasn't sure because all the questions I had done before this had very small resistance (like 6), and I wasn't sure what an actual appliance might have in terms of resistance. Thanks for the confirmation!