Diagonal Scaling of a 2x2 Positive Definite Matrix

In summary, The condition number of a (2,2)-matrix is the product of its eigenvalues and therefore eliminating one of them shortens the equation.
Drazick
Given a Positive Definite Matrix ## A \in {\mathbb{R}}^{2 \times 2} ## given by:

$$ A = \begin{bmatrix}
{A}_{11} & {A}_{12} \\
{A}_{12} & {A}_{22}
\end{bmatrix} $$

And a Matrix ## B ## Given by:

$$ B = \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{{A}_{11}}} & 0 \\
0 & \frac{1}{\sqrt{{A}_{22}}}
\end{bmatrix} $$

Now, defining the Diagonal Scaling of ## A ## given by ## C = B A B ##.
One could see the main diagonal elements of ## C ## are all ## 1 ##.
Actually ## C ## is given by:

$$ C = B A B = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & \frac{{A}_{12}}{\sqrt{ {A}_{11} {A}_{22} }} \\
\frac{{A}_{12}}{\sqrt{ {A}_{11} {A}_{22} }} & 1
\end{bmatrix} $$

This scaling, intuitively, makes the Matrix closer to the identity Matrix (Smaller off diagonal values, 1 on the main diagonal) and hence improve the Condition Number.
Yet I couldn't prove it.

How could one prove ## \kappa \left( C \right) = \kappa \left( B A B \right) \leq \kappa \left( A \right) ##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain to me what a 'Condition Number' and what ## \kappa \left( C \right) ## is?

The Condition Number is the division of the largest Eigen Value by the Smallest (Under L2 Norm):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condition_number

The symbol ## \kappa \left( A \right) ## stands for the condition number of ## A ##.

Thank You.

The eigenvalues of (2,2)-matrices can be explicitly calculated and therefore the condition numbers. The resulting expression depends on the entries of elements of ##A##. After two dozens of steps or so I think I have proven it with a brute-force attack.

Last edited:
Yea, this is what I tried.
I was after something more elegant.

I don't know whether it hepls or I correctly transformed it. However, defining

## T = trace (A) , D = det (A)## and ##det(B) = µ ## or ## µ^2 = det (C) \cdot det (A^{-1})##

I've been able to reduce the inequation to

## \bar{λ}^2 ≤ μ^2 λ^2 ## with the larger eigenvalues ## \bar{λ} ## of ##C## and ##λ## of ##A##

by using that fact the determinant of a (2,2)-matrix is the product of its eigenvalues and therefore eliminating one of them. Still a little work to do but keeping ## T, D, μ ## as long as possible and taking ##trace (C) = 2## it should be somehow shorter than brute-force.

Hi,
Could you show your steps?

Thank You.

If I understood the conditional number correct then with eigenvalues ##λ_1 ≤ λ_2## we get:

##κ(A) = λ_2 λ^{-1}_1##.

The characteristic polynomial of ##A## is ## det (A - x \cdot 1) = (x - λ_1)(x - λ_2) = x^2 - x \cdot T + D ## and ## D = λ_1 λ_2 ##. Similar is true for ##K(C)##.

Therefore ##D \cdot κ(A) = λ^{2}_2## and ##\bar{D} \cdot κ(C) = \bar{λ}^{2}_2## if the barred constants are those of ##C##.

Now I've calculated ##\bar{D} = det (B) det(A) det (B) = det^2 (B) \cdot D = μ^2 D##. Dropping now the indices of ##λ## and dividing by ##D## the inequality reads

## \bar{λ}^2 ≤ μ^2 λ^2##. Note that also ##λ_1 + λ_2 = trace (A)## is true. Same with ##B## or ##C##. I didn't use this but maybe it shortens even more by using it to prove the rest.

You're saying it is equivalent to show your eigen values inequality to the statement above?

Yes, as long as the maximal eigenvalues aren't 0. Just substitute ##λ_1## by ##D \cdot λ^{-1}_2##. Same with ##C = BAB## and finally define ##μ = det(B)##, i.e. ##\bar{D} = \bar{λ}_1 \bar{λ}_2 = det(C) = det^2 (B) \cdot det (A) = μ^2 D##. Note: I did not check your matrix multiplications. And don't try to take square roots. The squares above help a lot.

1. What is diagonal scaling of a 2x2 positive definite matrix?

Diagonal scaling is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a matrix by a diagonal matrix, where the diagonal elements are positive numbers. In the context of a 2x2 positive definite matrix, this operation involves multiplying the matrix by two positive numbers to change its shape and properties.

2. How does diagonal scaling affect the eigenvalues of a 2x2 positive definite matrix?

Diagonal scaling does not change the eigenvalues of a 2x2 positive definite matrix. The eigenvalues are only affected if the scaling factors are negative, which would result in a negative definite matrix.

3. Is diagonal scaling reversible?

No, diagonal scaling is not reversible. Once a 2x2 positive definite matrix is scaled, it cannot be restored to its original form. However, the resulting matrix will have the same eigenvalues and determinant as the original matrix.

4. How does diagonal scaling affect the shape of a 2x2 positive definite matrix?

Diagonal scaling changes the shape of a 2x2 positive definite matrix by stretching or shrinking it along the two axes. The scaling factors determine the amount and direction of the scaling, but the overall shape of the matrix remains the same.

5. What are the practical applications of diagonal scaling of a 2x2 positive definite matrix?

Diagonal scaling is commonly used in linear algebra and optimization problems to manipulate matrices and improve their properties. It can also be used to transform data in machine learning and image processing algorithms.