Diameter of circle of light seen from above water - illuminated beneath

In summary, the light illuminates a circle with a diameter of 26.8 cm below the surface of a liquid of refractive index 1.50.
Marcargo

Homework Statement

A small light is 22.0 cm below the surface of a liquid of refractive index 1.50. Viewed from above, the light appears to illuminate a circle on the surface of the water. What is the diameter of the circle?
cm

Homework Equations

Snell's Law
n1sin(θ)1 = n2sin(θ)2

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on Snell's law:
1.6 x 1 = 1 x sinθ, if I can find the angle of refraction, then maybe I can find the diameter of the circle with trigonometry?
I can't really see a way through this one - I'm thinking that I want to find the 'radius' of the circle, and from there, find the diameter. Maybe the distance that the light is used below the circle can be then used as a side for trigonometry to find the radius?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcargo said:

Homework Statement

A small light is 22.0 cm below the surface of a liquid of refractive index 1.50. Viewed from above, the light appears to illuminate a circle on the surface of the water. What is the diameter of the circle?
cm

Homework Equations

Snell's Law
n1sin(θ)1 = n2sin(θ)2

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on Snell's law:
1.6 x 1 = 1 x sinθ, if I can find the angle of refraction, then maybe I can find the diameter of the circle with trigonometry?
I can't really see a way through this one - I'm thinking that I want to find the 'radius' of the circle, and from there, find the diameter. Maybe the distance that the light is used below the circle can be then used as a side for trigonometry to find the radius?

The problem is not quite complete. They did not specify the geometry of the light source. However, the usual simplifying assumption is that of a point source of monochromatic light that emits isotropically (i.e. same intensity in all directions).

What you should be thinking of is the phenomenon of total internal reflection when the angle of incidence exceeds the critical angle. Think about this: light rays emerge at all angles from the light source. Does every ray that hits the surface actually escape into the air? Can you construct a "limiting cone" for the light that actually escapes the water?

Welcome to PF!

Hi Marcargo! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Marcargo said:
Based on Snell's law:

(what's 1.6? :confused:)

yes, you've used θ1 = 90°, so that gives you θ2 :smile:

so you have a right-angled triangle, and you know the angle and one side …

where's the difficulty? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Based on Snell's law:

(what's 1.6? :confused:)

yes, you've used θ1 = 90°, so that gives you θ2 :smile:

so you have a right-angled triangle, and you know the angle and one side …

where's the difficulty? :wink:

The difficulty is that "1.6 x 1 = 1 x sinθ" produces sin(θ)=1.6 . :biggrin:

ehild

Ok, so I've worked out the critical angle for the light - sin-1(n2/n1)
= 41.8°

This gives me the angle, and from trig, I used tan θ = r/30
= 26.8cm

diameter = 26.8 x 2 = 54cm (2sf)

Thank you for the help everyone! It actually feels really great to have found this physics community, makes be love the subject even more :)

Marcargo.

Marcargo said:
= 41.8°

= 26.8cm

Where did the 30 come from?

gneill said:
Where did the 30 come from?

he keeps changing the question! :biggrin:
Marcargo said:
A small light is 22.0 cm below the surface of a liquid of refractive index 1.50.
Marcargo said:
= 26.8cm

shouldn't it be three significant figures ? :wink:

Marcargo said:
= 41.8°

= 26.8cm

Thank you for the help everyone! It actually feels really great to have found this physics community, makes be love the subject even more :)

Marcargo.

I have no idea where the 30 came from, but if the original question is taken as accurate (22cm), I get a different answer.

There is no need to do the arcsin and then take the tangent, you can use simple trig identities to manipulate it algebraically to get an exact answer of [itex]\frac{88\sqrt{5}}{5}[/itex], which can then be evaluated by calculator.

1. What is the diameter of the circle of light seen from above water?

The diameter of the circle of light seen from above water is dependent on the angle at which the light enters the water and the depth of the water. As the angle of incidence increases, the diameter of the circle of light decreases. Additionally, the deeper the water, the smaller the diameter of the circle of light will appear.

2. How is the diameter of the circle of light affected by the color of light?

The diameter of the circle of light is not affected by the color of light. This is because the diameter is determined by the angle of incidence and the depth of the water, not the color of the light.

3. Can the diameter of the circle of light be calculated?

Yes, the diameter of the circle of light can be calculated using the Snell's Law, which relates the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction to the indices of refraction of the two mediums. The formula is: d = 2 * depth * tan (θ), where d is the diameter of the circle, depth is the depth of the water, and θ is the angle of incidence.

4. How does the diameter of the circle of light change as depth increases?

As the depth of the water increases, the diameter of the circle of light decreases. This is because the angle of refraction increases, causing the light to bend more, resulting in a smaller diameter of the circle of light.

5. Is the diameter of the circle of light affected by the clarity of the water?

Yes, the diameter of the circle of light can be affected by the clarity of the water. If the water is murky or has particles in it, the light may scatter and the diameter of the circle of light may appear larger. However, in clear water, the diameter of the circle of light will remain consistent with the angle of incidence and depth of the water.