Difference between a spinning sphere and rolling one

In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy as a sphere rolls down a slant and enters a loop. The rotational kinetic energy of the sphere is due to its spinning around its own center, and the moment of inertia can be calculated using different centers. The total kinetic energy is the sum of the translational and rotational kinetic energies.
Gabriel Maia
Consider this: We have a sphere rolling down a slant, released from some height h with null velocity. At the end of the slant its potential energy will have been fully converted to kinetic energy, part translational and part rotational.

Now consider this: at the end of the slant the ball enters a loop. As it travels around the loop reaching its top it will have a potential energy, alright, but more importantly for our present problem, it will have again a translational and a rotational kinetic energy. The rotational part is due to the ball spinning around its center (as it rolls along its path) or is it due to the rotation around the loop's center? Shouldn't be 2 rotationa kinetic energies?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Gabriel Maia said:
The rotational part is due to the ball spinning around its center

This is how it's usually defined, but you can decompose the KE any way you like. Note that the moment of inertia will depend on the center you
chose.

I see...

But the moment of inertia of a particle on a circular trajectory is [itex] I = m R^2[/itex] (where R is the trajectory radius) and the moment of inertia of a sphere spinning around its own center is [itex] I = \frac{2}{5} m r^2 [/itex](where r is the sphere radius). So the total kinetic energy will be

[itex]K = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 + \frac{1}{2} mR^2 \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{2}{5}mr^2\right]\omega'^2[/itex]?

(where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular speed of the ball around the loop and [itex]\omega'^2[/itex] around itself)

Gabriel Maia said:
I see...

But the moment of inertia of a particle on a circular trajectory is [itex] I = m R^2[/itex] (where R is the trajectory radius) and the moment of inertia of a sphere spinning around its own center is [itex] I = \frac{2}{5} m r^2 [/itex](where r is the sphere radius). So the total kinetic energy will be

[itex]K = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 + \frac{1}{2} mR^2 \omega^2 + \frac{1}{2}\left[\frac{2}{5}mr^2\right]\omega'^2[/itex]?
No, you are accounting twice for the movement along the circular path. The first two terms are identical, and represent the same thing.

Likes Gabriel Maia
Splendid, how foolish of me. Thank you very much.

What is the difference between a spinning sphere and a rolling one?

A spinning sphere is a spherical object that is rotating around its own axis, while a rolling sphere is a spherical object that is moving in a linear direction while also rotating around its own axis.

How do spinning and rolling affect the motion of a sphere?

Spinning and rolling both affect the motion of a sphere by introducing rotational motion. However, spinning only affects the rotation of the sphere, while rolling affects both the rotation and translation of the sphere.

What are the physical properties of a spinning sphere?

A spinning sphere has angular momentum, which is the product of its moment of inertia and angular velocity. It also experiences centrifugal force, which is the outward force exerted on a rotating object.

What are the physical properties of a rolling sphere?

A rolling sphere has both translational and rotational kinetic energy. It also experiences a combination of friction and rolling resistance, which allow it to maintain its motion.

How do the forces acting on a spinning sphere differ from those acting on a rolling one?

The forces acting on a spinning sphere are mainly centripetal force and centrifugal force, while the forces acting on a rolling sphere are friction and rolling resistance. Additionally, a rolling sphere may also experience gravitational force and air resistance.