When is the first equation used to calculate pressure change in a system?

• Thread starter FollowTheFez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation is about a question involving pressure and fluid dynamics. The person is confused about two equations given on the formula sheet and is seeking clarification on when to use them. The first equation is used for a thin film bubble, while the second equation is used for a bubble of gas within a liquid.
FollowTheFez
I am going through old exam questions about pressure and fluid dynamics.
For one particular question I had to calculate the change in pressure in a system. These two equations were given on the formula sheet:

ΔP=[itex]\frac{4\gamma}{R}[/itex]

and

ΔP=[itex]\frac{2\gamma}{R}[/itex]

I've never seen the equation with the '4' in it. I've only every used the second equation to calculate pressure change (and always got answers correct). I can't find the first equation anywhere in my textbook or study guide.
I was wondering if someone could briefly explain when you would use that equation?

I am assuming that it's got something to do with where the pressure difference is only half (e.g. half a bubble sitting on top of water)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation applies to a thin film bubble, like a soap bubble. The second equation applies to a bubble of gas within a body of surrounding liquid.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: When is the first equation used to calculate pressure change in a system?

What are different pressure equations?

Different pressure equations are mathematical formulas that are used to calculate pressure in various systems. These equations take into account different variables such as force, area, and volume to determine the pressure exerted by a substance.

What are some examples of different pressure equations?

Some examples of different pressure equations include the ideal gas law, Bernoulli's equation, and the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations are used in different fields of science and engineering to calculate pressure in different systems.

How do pressure equations differ from each other?

Pressure equations differ from each other in the variables they take into account and the systems they are used to calculate pressure in. Some equations may only consider pressure in gases, while others may also include liquids or solids. Additionally, different pressure equations may be more applicable in certain scenarios based on their assumptions and limitations.

Why are different pressure equations used?

Different pressure equations are used because each equation is best suited for a specific situation or system. For example, the ideal gas law is often used to calculate pressure in gases, while the Navier-Stokes equations are used for more complex fluids. Using the appropriate pressure equation ensures accurate results and a better understanding of the system being studied.

How are pressure equations derived?

Pressure equations are derived from fundamental principles and laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of mass and energy. These equations are then refined and adapted for specific situations and systems through experimentation and mathematical analysis.