1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different Pressure Equations

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    I am going through old exam questions about pressure and fluid dynamics.
    For one particular question I had to calculate the change in pressure in a system. These two equations were given on the formula sheet:

ΔP=[itex]\frac{4\gamma}{R}[/itex]

and

ΔP=[itex]\frac{2\gamma}{R}[/itex]

I've never seen the equation with the '4' in it. I've only every used the second equation to calculate pressure change (and always got answers correct). I can't find the first equation anywhere in my textbook or study guide.
    I was wondering if someone could briefly explain when you would use that equation?

I am assuming that it's got something to do with where the pressure difference is only half (e.g. half a bubble sitting on top of water)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2
    The first equation applies to a thin film bubble, like a soap bubble. The second equation applies to a bubble of gas within a body of surrounding liquid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted