Differential Amplifier with Two stages

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit commonly used in analog design and the calculation of Vb1, Vb2, and Vb3. Vb1 must be greater than 0.4 - Vth + Vss, Vb2 must be greater than Vgs - Vth + Vss, and Vb3 must be equal to Vgs - Vth + Vss.
jay_help
Homework Statement
Hello everyone,
Here's my problem : I have to determine the bias voltages of the amplifier to ensure saturation of each transistor (Vb1, vb2 and vb3).
Relevant Equations
Vdd = 3.0V, Vinp = 1.5V, Vinn = 1.5V, Voutp = 1.5V, Voutn = 1.5V, Vds of transistor 1 = 0.4V).
What I tried to do :

First I tried to calculte vb1 :

Saturation => Vds > Vgs - vth
Vds > Vgs - vth
Vd - Vs > Vgs - vth
Vd= Vb1
Vb1 > Vgs - vth + Vs
Vs= Vss
Result : Vb1 > 0.4 - vth + Vs

I don't know if it's correct and don't know what to do for the two others.

Attachments

• ampli.PNG
    ampli.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 95
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone help me ? Thank you ! A:This is a common circuit used in analog design. It is usually combined with an resistor in series with the gate to provide a voltage divider bias. For Vb1, you have it right. Vgs must be greater than Vth and the source voltage (Vss), so Vb1 must be greater than Vgs-Vth + Vss. For Vb2, it is similar. Vds must be greater than Vgs-Vth, so Vb2 must be greater than Vgs - Vth + Vss. For Vb3, it is a bit different. Since Vds=Vgs, Vb3 must be equal to Vgs - Vth + Vss.

1. What is a differential amplifier with two stages?

A differential amplifier with two stages is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It consists of two amplification stages, each with its own transistor, that work together to amplify the input signals.

2. How does a differential amplifier with two stages work?

A differential amplifier with two stages works by amplifying the difference between the two input signals and rejecting any common-mode signals that are present in both inputs. The first stage amplifies the input signals and the second stage provides additional amplification and output buffering.

3. What are the advantages of using a differential amplifier with two stages?

One advantage of using a differential amplifier with two stages is that it provides high gain and high input impedance, making it suitable for amplifying weak signals. It also has good common-mode rejection, meaning it can filter out unwanted noise from the input signals.

4. How is a differential amplifier with two stages different from a single-stage differential amplifier?

A differential amplifier with two stages differs from a single-stage differential amplifier in that it has two amplification stages instead of one. This allows for higher gain and better performance in terms of common-mode rejection and input impedance.

5. What are some common applications of a differential amplifier with two stages?

A differential amplifier with two stages is commonly used in instrumentation and measurement systems, audio amplifiers, and communication systems. It is also used in medical equipment, control systems, and data acquisition systems.