Differential Equation: Finding the Particular Solution for 4y'-4y=x*e^(3x)

In summary, the question is to find the particular solution for the equation 4y'-4y=x*e^(3x). The attempt at a solution involves setting y equal to A*x*e^3x, finding y' and substituting it into the original equation. The equation is then simplified to 4(D-3)^2(D-1)y=0, which can be solved to find the particular solution. The extraneous solutions of 4(D-1)y=x*e^(3x) must be eliminated.
nns91

Homework Statement

4y'-4y=x*e^(3x)

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is to find the particular solution

So I kinda know the way to solve this thing but the point is the start. I cannot figure out what will I set my y equal to. if it's only e^(3x) I will set my y=A*x*e^3x then find y' and substitute in the original equation to find the particular solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
4y'-4y=x*e^(3x)
4(D-1)y=x*e^(3x)
4(D-3)^2(D-1)y=0
solve
4(D-3)^2(D-1)y=0
then eliminate the extraneous solutions of

4(D-1)y=x*e^(3x)

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. What is the purpose of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can help us understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

3. What are the types of differential equations?

The two main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integral calculus. In some cases, numerical methods or computer simulations may be used.

5. Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are essential in science because they allow us to model and understand the behavior of complex systems in a mathematical way. They provide a framework for making predictions and analyzing data in various fields of study.