1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations, Laplace Transform

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    Hello all,
    Next semester I will be taking a Network Analysis course in my EE degree. Moreover, we will be utilizing numerous mathematical concepts I have not yet seen. If anyone has (preferably free) access to any of the concepts to follow that they would be willing to share, I would be grateful. I have 3 weeks off for break to work, however, I'd like to involve myself with some of these methods as we do not cover a course on Differential Equations. Thanks!

Some of the mathematical concepts I will be utilizing next semester will be "deriving differential equations for electrical and mechanical systems, solving differential equations for initial conditions and a step input, the Laplace transform, Second Order Systems, solving transient response by the Laplace transform".

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2
    You could watch the videos on khanacademy.org. They cover most of the material in a differential equations course. I am unsure if he discusses any applications, but the mathematics alone should sufficiently prepare you for your course.

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    Sweet. Thanks! Do you recommend merely taking notes while watching the videos, and studying the concepts? The only downfall to relying merely on videos is the lack of practice problems. Are the mathematical concepts I was referring to usually covered in a Differential Equation class?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. Dec 13, 2011 #4
    I think that you can learn the concepts by watching the videos and working through the problems with him step by step. I like to set up a schedule when I self-study, so that might also be beneficial. I would try something like...

Day 1:
    watch & work through 1,2,3
    Day 2:
    watch & work through 4,5,6
    Day 3:
    watch & work through 7,8,9
    watch: 1,2,3
    Day 4:
    watch & work through: 10,11,12
    watch: 4,5,6
    etc.

Space everything out accordingly, though. The topics you listed are typically taught in ordinary differential equations classes and they're all covered in the videos. You won't get an electrical or mechanical perspective (although there will probably be a few related problems), but I assume your class will teach you the conceptual information and physical applications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook