Differential geometry Frenet

In summary: The γ(s) and γ'(s) in your equation are complex-valued vectors, and you need to differentiate them to get the correct result.
ParisSpart
even γ: I-> R ^ 2 curve parameterized as to arc length (single speed) with curvature k (s)> 0 and torsion τ(s)> 0. I want to write the γ(s) as a combination of n(s), t(s), b(s). these are the types of Frenet.

the only thing i know is that the types of Frenet are t(s)=γ'(s) , b(s)=t(s)Xn(s) and n(s)=t'(s)/k(s)
but how i will write γ(s) with this types? is there any way or type to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it could help if you told us what you are trying to do. Are you trying to solve a specific problem? Also, did you intend to write ##\gamma : I \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2##, as in a planar curve?

my problem is:even γ: I-> R ^3 curve parameterized as to arc length (single speed) with curvature k (s)> 0 and torsion τ(s)>0. we assume that the γ is at the surface sphere with center the origin. Show that for any s we have:
γ(s)=-(1/k(s))*n(s) + (k'(s)/(k^2(s)*τ(s)))*b(s)

and he gives us a hint: write the γ(s) as a combination of n(s), t(s), b(s). these are the types of Frenet
and γ:I->R^3

i think that if i find a way to combine γ with the types of frenet and derivative them i will find the problem

You are meant to write ##\gamma(s) = a_1(s)t(s) + a_2(s)n(s) + a_3(s)b(s)##, for unknown scalar functions ##a_i(s)##. You can immediately conclude that one of the ##a_i(s)## is zero identically. Which one and why? The other two can be determined by differentiating the remaining expression.

a1(s) will be zero? and after that with differentiation i will conclude to the the expression i wrote?

Don't ask. Try it! And if you run into more trouble, come back here, show us what you have done and we will give you more help.

i tried to the derivative and i found this :
γ'(s)=a2(s)n'(s)+a2'(s)n(s)+a3'(s)b(s)+a3(s)b'(s) , we know that γ'(s)=0 beacuse we are on the surface of sphere , after that i tried to replace n'(s)=-k(s)t(s)+τ(s)b(s) and the other types?

ParisSpart said:
a1(s) will be zero?

Why will ##a_1(s)## be zero?

ParisSpart said:
i tried to the derivative and i found this :
γ'(s)=a2(s)n'(s)+a2'(s)n(s)+a3'(s)b(s)+a3(s)b'(s) , we know that γ'(s)=0 beacuse we are on the surface of sphere

Why would ##\gamma^\prime(s) = 0##? I don't see what the surface of the sphere has to do with this.

Do you know the Frenet formulas?

because γ(s)*γ(s)=c where c is a constant and then 2γ(s)γ'(s)=0

ParisSpart said:
because γ(s)*γ(s)=c where c is a constant and then 2γ(s)γ'(s)=0

OK, how does that answer my two questions?

##\gamma'(s) = 0## identically would mean that there is no motion and the curve consists of just one point. Clearly this is not true in our case, since we are allowed to move around as long as we stay on the surface of the sphere.

i think that a1(s)=0 because i supposed that for γ'(s)=0 we know that t(s)=γ'(s) and then t(s)=0 and a1(s)=0

but if we don't have γ'(s)=0 if we differentiate the γ(s)=a1(s)t(s)+a2(s)n(s)+a3(s)b(s) with what γ'(s) will be equal?

ParisSpart said:
i think that a1(s)=0 because i supposed that for γ'(s)=0 we know that t(s)=γ'(s) and then t(s)=0 and a1(s)=0

That is not correct and it is not the reason ##a_1(s)## is zero. You wrote above that ##\gamma(s) \cdot \gamma'(s) = 0##, which is correct. Do you see how you could use this to conclude that ##a_1(s)## must be zero?

no... can you tell me why? i focused on this that i said prior

ParisSpart said:
no... can you tell me why? i focused on this that i said prior

So ##\gamma(s) = a_1(s)t(s) + a_2(s)n(s) + a_3(s)b(s)## and ## \gamma'(s) \cdot \gamma(s) = 0 ##, where ##\gamma'(s) = t(s)## by definition.

By the way, I hope you understand that ##\gamma(s)## and ##\gamma'(s)## are vector-valued: ##\gamma(s) = (\gamma_1(s), \gamma_2(s), \gamma_3(s)), \, \gamma'(s) = (\gamma'_1(s), \gamma'_2(s), \gamma'_3(s))## and that by ##\gamma(s) \cdot \gamma'(s)## I mean the scalar product of these vectors.

if i differentiate i find this γ'(s)=a2(s)n'(s)+a2'(s)n(s)+a3'(s)b(s)+a3(s)b'(s) beacuse γ'(s)=t(s) i will replace this in this equation? and after that i am trying to replace the followings:
b(s)=t(s)xn(s) , n(s)=t'(s)/k(s), t'(s)=k(s)n(s), n'(s)=-k(s)t(s)+τ(s)b(s), b'(s)=-τ(s)n(s) ?

ParisSpart said:
if i differentiate i find this γ'(s)=a2(s)n'(s)+a2'(s)n(s)+a3'(s)b(s)+a3(s)b'(s) beacuse γ'(s)=t(s) i will replace this in this equation? and after that i am trying to replace the followings:
b(s)=t(s)xn(s) , n(s)=t'(s)/k(s), t'(s)=k(s)n(s), n'(s)=-k(s)t(s)+τ(s)b(s), b'(s)=-τ(s)n(s) ?

Use the last two of these and then scalar multiply the expression ##\gamma'(s) = ...## with some suitable vector.

i replaced the n'(s) and b'(s) but why we must multiply with a suitable vector , for what reason? i am a little confused

ParisSpart said:
i replaced the n'(s) and b'(s) but why we must multiply with a suitable vector , for what reason? i am a little confused

Well, you want to determine ##a_2(s)## and ##a_3(s)##, no? I suggested doing scalar multiplication with some well-chosen vector(s) would enable you to do that.

i have this
γ'(s)=-a2(s)k(s)t(s)+a2(s)τ(s)b(s)+a2'(s)n(s)+a3'(s)b(s)-a3(s)τ(s)n(s)

we don't know γ'(s) i think that its difficult to find a2(s) and a3 .

ParisSpart said:
i have this
γ'(s)=-a2(s)k(s)t(s)+a2(s)τ(s)b(s)+a2'(s)n(s)+a3'(s)b(s)-a3(s)τ(s)n(s)

we don't know γ'(s) i think that its difficult to find a2(s) and a3 .

I literally just told you to scalar multiply both sides with some well-chosen vector(s)! HINT: Try each of ##t(s), n(s), b(s)##.

Likes 1 person
with γ(s)=t'(s) and by scalar multiplying i found a2(s)=-1/k(s) a2'(s)=k'(s)/k^2(s) and (k'(s)/k^2(s))-a3(s)τ(s)=0
where a3(s)=k'(s)/k^2(s)*τ(s) and i concluded to this that we wanted

What is differential geometry Frenet?

Differential geometry Frenet is a mathematical framework that studies curves and surfaces in higher dimensional spaces. It provides a way to understand the geometry of these objects using tools from calculus and linear algebra.

What is the Frenet-Serret formula?

The Frenet-Serret formula is a fundamental equation in differential geometry Frenet that describes how the tangent, normal, and binormal vectors of a curve change as you move along the curve. It is essential for understanding the curvature and torsion of a curve.

What is the significance of curvature and torsion in differential geometry Frenet?

Curvature and torsion are two important measures of the shape of a curve. Curvature measures how much a curve bends, while torsion measures how much a curve twists. In differential geometry Frenet, these measures are used to characterize the local geometry of a curve and to understand the behavior of surfaces in higher dimensional spaces.

How is differential geometry Frenet used in real-world applications?

Differential geometry Frenet has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model the shape of objects, analyze the motion of particles, and design smooth and efficient paths for robots and vehicles.

What are some other important concepts in differential geometry Frenet?

In addition to the Frenet-Serret formula and curvature and torsion, other important concepts in differential geometry Frenet include the arc length of a curve, the normal and binormal curvature, and the osculating circle and plane. These concepts all help to provide a complete understanding of the geometry of curves and surfaces in higher dimensional spaces.