Differentiating 3 terms with product rule

In summary, the student is trying to find the derivative of a function that is differentiating with 2 terms and 3 terms. They are also trying to differentiate two functions with respect to x. They are having difficulty understanding the product rule. Thanks to HallsofIvy for helping to clear up the issue.
fernanhen

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of (x^2)(sinx)(tanx)

Homework Equations

f(x+y)(d/dx)=(x)(y)d/dx+(y)(x)d/dx

That's for differentiating with 2 terms. With 3, I haven't done it yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

x^2(sinx)(sec^2x)+tanx(sinx)2x+x^2(tanx)(cosx)
x^2(sinx/1)(1/cos^2x)+sinx/cosx)(sinx/1)(2x)+x^2(sinx/cosx)(cosx/a)
sinx/cosx(x^2/cos^2x+2xsinx+x^2cosx)

Another attempt was

2xsinxtanx

Which one do you guys think is right. It may be neither of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello feranhen! :smile:

fernanhen;3931810 [h2 said:
Homework Equations[/h2]

f(x+y)(d/dx)=(x)(y)d/dx+(y)(x)d/dx

That's for differentiating with 2 terms. With 3, I haven't done it yet.

That product rule formula seems incorrect, or I might have misinterpreted the way you wrote it.

The product rule is,

[itex]\frac{\mathrm{d} (f(x) g(x))}{\mathrm{d} x} = f(x)g'(x)+ f'(x) g(x)[/itex]

Now consider [itex]f(x) = x^2sin(x)[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = tan(x)[/itex] and solve. You will need to use the product rule twice :wink:

Ok, here we go:

x^2(sinx)(sec^2(x))+2xcosx(tanx)

I didn't understand what you meant by using the product rule twice. How do I write x^2 the way you did by the way?

Thanks for the reply :-)

fernanhen said:
Ok, here we go:

x^2(sinx)(sec^2(x))+2xcosx(tanx)

I didn't understand what you meant by using the product rule twice.

The bolded part is wrong. This is where you use product rule the second time. Remember, you need [itex]f'(x)= \frac{d}{dx}(x^2sin(x))[/itex] What will you get if you use it here?
How do I write x^2 the way you did by the way?
The mathematical text is called LaTeX. Here is a nice little tutorial to learn from : https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968 You can alternatively use the x2 button above the reply box which uses HTML, but LaTeX has more options.

Infinitum said:
The bolded part is wrong. This is where you use product rule the second time. Remember, you need [itex]f'(x)= \frac{d}{dx}(x^2sin(x))[/itex] What will you get if you use it here?

I believe this is what I did on first trial of this problem. Maybe I didn't understand the suggestion but in essence what I did was to multiply the derivative of one times the two other terms, then ADD the derivative of the second term times the other 2, then ADD AGAIN the derivative of the third term times the other two.

Without simplifying I got:

(x^2)(sinx)(1/cos^2x)+(sinx/cosx)(sinx)(2x)+(x^2)(sinx/cosx)(cosx)

Sorry for not understanding it promptly but I haven't seen this done in our classroom yet, not with trigonometric functions at least. Can you clarify what may be wrong with the above?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.

fernanhen said:
I believe this is what I did on first trial of this problem. Maybe I didn't understand the suggestion but in essence what I did was to multiply the derivative of one times the two other terms, then ADD the derivative of the second term times the other 2, then ADD AGAIN the derivative of the third term times the other two.

Edit : Yep, its right.

See post below.

Last edited:
To differentiate f(x)g(x)h(x) with respect to x, let F(x)= f(x)g(x) so that you are differentiating F(x)h(x). By the product rule, that is F'(x)g(x)+ F(x)g'(x). And, applying the product rule to F(x)= f(x)g(x), F'(x)= f'(x)g(x)+ f(x)g'(x). Putting that into the first formula, (f(x)g(x)h(x))'= (f'(x)g(x)+ f(x)g'(x))h(x)+ (f(x)g(x))h'(x)= f'(x)g(x)h(x)+ f(x)g'(x)h(x)+ f(x)g(x)h'(x).

HallsofIvy said:
To differentiate f(x)g(x)h(x) with respect to x, let F(x)= f(x)g(x) so that you are differentiating F(x)h(x). By the product rule, that is F'(x)g(x)+ F(x)g'(x). And, applying the product rule to F(x)= f(x)g(x), F'(x)= f'(x)g(x)+ f(x)g'(x). Putting that into the first formula, (f(x)g(x)h(x))'= (f'(x)g(x)+ f(x)g'(x))h(x)+ (f(x)g(x))h'(x)= f'(x)g(x)h(x)+ f(x)g'(x)h(x)+ f(x)g(x)h'(x).

Wow, I can't believe I didn't realize this mentally and made a silly mistake. Thanks for the clarification, HallsofIvy :smile:

Yep, thanks HallsofIvy, this : f'(x)g(x)h(x)+ f(x)g'(x)h(x)+ f(x)g(x)h'(x) , is what I did.

Thanks to you both for helping me out with this problem.

1. What is the product rule for differentiating 3 terms?

The product rule states that when differentiating the product of three terms, the derivative is equal to the first term multiplied by the derivative of the second and third terms, plus the second term multiplied by the derivative of the first and third terms, plus the third term multiplied by the derivative of the first and second terms.

2. How do you apply the product rule to differentiate 3 terms?

To differentiate three terms using the product rule, you first identify the three terms and label them as f(x), g(x), and h(x). Then, you apply the formula f'(x)g(x)h(x) + f(x)g'(x)h(x) + f(x)g(x)h'(x) to find the derivative of the product of the three terms.

3. Can you provide an example of differentiating 3 terms using the product rule?

Sure, let's say we have the three terms f(x) = x, g(x) = x^2, and h(x) = sin(x). The derivative of the product using the product rule would be f'(x)g(x)h(x) + f(x)g'(x)h(x) + f(x)g(x)h'(x) = (1)(x^2)(sin(x)) + (x)(2x)(sin(x)) + (x)(x^2)(cos(x)) = x^2sin(x) + 2x^2sin(x) + x^3cos(x).

4. Are there any special cases when using the product rule to differentiate 3 terms?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when using the product rule for differentiating 3 terms. For example, if one of the terms is a constant, its derivative would be 0 and can be omitted from the formula. Also, if two of the terms are the same, you can use the power rule to simplify the derivative.

5. How does the product rule differ from the quotient rule when differentiating 3 terms?

The product rule is used when differentiating the product of three terms, while the quotient rule is used when differentiating the quotient of two terms. The quotient rule also involves dividing the derivatives of the two terms, whereas the product rule does not involve any division. Additionally, the product rule has a plus sign between each term in the formula, while the quotient rule has a minus sign between each term.