Difficult Introductory Electricity Circuit Problem - Capacitors

In summary: That way, everything is accounted for and I can solve for the unknown quantities.In summary, the conversation is about a challenging circuit problem involving capacitors. The individual had attempted to rearrange the circuit into a Wheatstone bridge and suggested using the equation Q = C V. However, they were unsure how to proceed due to the different capacitances. Another individual suggested using the KCL equations to solve for the unknown quantities.
Emc2fma
Difficult Introductory Electricity Circuit Problem -- Capacitors

Homework Statement

MAvH81u.png

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem was very difficult, and the most I could do was re-arrange the circuit into a make-shift Wheatstone bridge with all capacitors instead of resistors/voltmeter.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you need is a relevant equation ! Hence the template...

I propose Q = C V There are five of them, plus one for the equivalent over-all C, so you should get enough material to solve for the latter.

That's how we do parallel, series, etc. of two capacitors. This one is a little more involved.

I've already attempted doing that - I think the big problem is that since no two of them are in series/parallel with each other, it's very difficult to use the standard method.

Show what you did, it might be just right, only a bit confusing

I scrapped my approach because it wasn't working.

Do you mean I should calculate the charge on the capacitors using Q = VC?

Emc2fma said:

Homework Statement

[ IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MAvH81u.png[/PLAIN]

This problem was very difficult, and the most I could do was re-arrange the circuit into a make-shift Wheatstone bridge with all capacitors instead of resistors/voltmeter.

Any ideas?
Are the capacitances all different, or do all capacitors have the same capacitance?

Attachments

• MAvH81u.png
    MAvH81u.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 677
They're all different...does that make a difference? I figure the calculation would be the same.

Emc2fma said:
They're all different...does that make a difference? I figure the calculation would be the same.
The special case of all being equal allows you to make a drastic simplification right from the start, basing this on symmetry of the circuit. For this reason, the special case cannot qualify as a "challenge problem". :smile:

Likes 1 person
Emc2fma said:

Homework Statement

MAvH81u.png

Any ideas?

I just write the KCL equations for complicated questions like this.

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, called a dielectric.

2. How do capacitors work in a circuit?

In a circuit, capacitors act as temporary storage for electrical energy. When connected to a power source, one plate of the capacitor becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores energy. When the capacitor is connected to a load, the stored energy can be released.

3. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is determined by the physical characteristics of the capacitor, such as the area of the plates, the distance between them, and the type of dielectric material. It can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between them.

4. What is the role of capacitors in an AC circuit?

In an AC (alternating current) circuit, capacitors are used to filter and smooth out the voltage. They block the flow of direct current (DC) while allowing AC to pass through. This helps to reduce fluctuations in voltage, resulting in a more stable electrical signal.

5. What is the difference between series and parallel capacitors?

In a series circuit, capacitors are connected one after the other, so their total capacitance is less than the capacitance of each individual capacitor. In a parallel circuit, capacitors are connected side by side, so their total capacitance is the sum of the individual capacitances. In other words, series capacitors have a combined capacitance that is less than any individual capacitor, while parallel capacitors have a combined capacitance that is greater than any individual capacitor.