Difficulty computing second derivative value in SHM problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the amplitude of motion and velocity for a machine undergoing simple harmonic motion with a given displacement function. The person asking for help is having trouble finding the correct t-values for which the acceleration is zero and is seeking advice on how to correct their mistake. They have also shared their attempt at a solution and have apologized for a mistake they made in their initial post. The person providing help has pointed out a potential error in squaring the equation and advised the person to check their work and avoid posting photos of their work in accordance with PF guidelines.
JDC123

Homework Statement

The displacement of a machine is given by the simple harmonic motion as x(t) = 5cos(30t)+4sin(30t). Find the amplitude of motion, and the amplitude of the velocity.

Homework Equations

x''(t) = -4500cos(30t)-3600sin(30t)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I should note that I'm not having any difficulty with the problem conceptually, as it is very simple. However, for some reason unknown to me, I'm getting the wrong sign on a t-value when I set x''(t) to zero. I've checked and rechecked my work numerous times, and I'm not sure what's going on. This exact same procedure worked with the first derivative, so I don't get why it's failing me with the second. I've graphed x''(t) on Desmos, and the first positive t-value for x''(t)=0 is 0.0749. My answer is equal to 0.02986. Strangely, according to the graph, the first negative t-value to satisfy x''(t)=0 is -0.02986. Does anyone know why I'm getting the wrong sign? It's driving me absolutely insane. Please see the attached photo to view my attempt at a solution.

It is admittedly quite late here, and while there must be some pernicious error in my algebra, I can't find it.Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is unclear what you mean when you say that you want to find the x-values for which x'' is zero. This should not happen for negative or for positive x. Try writing x" as a function of x instead of t.

My apologies! I'm after t-values for x''(t)=0, not x-values. I have edited my original post to correct this mistake.

Last edited:
When you square an equation you must check that the solutions satisfy the original equation. Later you are missing one of the solutions when taking the square root and the solution you are left with happens to be the false root you introduced by squaring. I would quote the specific point in your work but this is impossible since you just posted an image. Generally, note that only posting photos of your work breaks the PF guidelines for homework and that such posts may be deleted.

1. What is the second derivative in SHM?

The second derivative in SHM (simple harmonic motion) represents the acceleration of an object undergoing harmonic motion. It is the rate of change of the velocity with respect to time.

2. Why is it difficult to compute the second derivative value in SHM problems?

Computing the second derivative value in SHM problems can be difficult because it involves taking the derivative of the velocity function, which is already a derivative of the displacement function. This can result in complex equations and may require advanced mathematical skills.

3. How is the second derivative value used in solving SHM problems?

The second derivative value is used to determine the maximum displacement and acceleration of an object in SHM, as well as the period and frequency of its motion. It also helps in finding the equation of motion and making predictions about the behavior of the system.

4. Are there any alternative methods for computing the second derivative value in SHM?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using numerical differentiation techniques or using computer software to automatically calculate the second derivative value. These methods can be helpful in cases where the equations involved are too complex for manual computation.

5. What are some tips for effectively computing the second derivative value in SHM problems?

Some tips for computing the second derivative value in SHM problems include simplifying the equations before taking the derivative, using the chain rule and product rule appropriately, and double checking calculations for accuracy. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and to practice with simpler SHM problems before tackling more complex ones.