Digital Filter Equivalence in a difference equation form

In summary, this homework statement discusses the difference equation form of a circuit, the digital filter equivalence, the attempt at a solution, the equivalence between the generalized and specific forms, the solution to the problem, and the two main methods for solving for a difference equation.
tennisguy383

Homework Statement

33502d6969074b993192b567831be33a.png

Find the digital filter equivalence of the
circuit in a difference equation form

Homework Equations

1f0adc005bb6a09f953ccb49d52c8600.png

Is this the difference equation form?

The Attempt at a Solution

If that is the proper form.. I think this is how to solve it? I got this example from my textbook I'm just not sure if its solving for the question asked.
ef702936f8c7e98bf158457775b5d353.png

Physics news on Phys.org
tennisguy383 said:

Homework Statement

33502d6969074b993192b567831be33a.png

Find the digital filter equivalence of the
circuit in a difference equation form

Homework Equations

1f0adc005bb6a09f953ccb49d52c8600.png

Is this the difference equation form?
Yes. That is the generalized form, allowing any order, also recursive and non-recursive.

The Attempt at a Solution

If that is the proper form.. I think this is how to solve it? I got this example from my textbook I'm just not sure if its solving for the question asked.
ef702936f8c7e98bf158457775b5d353.png

Your attempt at a solution looks exactly right and appropriate.

Realize that there is no single difference equation that exactly represents the analog network. All are approximations. Entire courses are devoted to formulating optimal difference equations. A widely used type is the Runge-Kutta method which itself has several orders etc.

As mentioned, there is more than one way to find a difference equation that is approx equivalent to a continuous time system.

What you did is called a backward difference integrator, where you've approximated a continuous time differentiation with a single backward difference. This effectively replaces s by (1 - z-1)/T. Higher order approximations for differentiation are also possible.

But there are two main methods you may or may not have studied yet :- impulse invariance is one where you try to keep the impulse response the same in the discrete time domain. You do this by sampling the continuous time impulse response. This method can suffer from aliasing. Another is the bilinear transform which does not suffer from aliasing but does suffer from frequency warping. The bilinear transform maps the entire jw axis onto the unit circle which means you are squashing an infinite length axis onto a semicircle which will inevitably lead to frequency warping. What is normally done with the bilinear transform is the response is pre-warped to make sure important frequencies in the s-domain (eg bandwidth) appear at the same place (frequency wise) in the z-domain.

Last edited:

1. What is digital filter equivalence in a difference equation form?

Digital filter equivalence in a difference equation form refers to the process of representing a digital filter in a mathematical form known as a difference equation. This equation describes the relationship between the input and output of a digital filter, allowing for the filter's characteristics to be analyzed and manipulated.

2. How is digital filter equivalence in a difference equation form different from other representations?

Digital filter equivalence in a difference equation form differs from other representations, such as the transfer function or frequency response, in that it is a discrete-time representation. This means that the input and output signals are represented as a sequence of numbers rather than continuous time signals.

3. What are the benefits of representing a digital filter in a difference equation form?

Representing a digital filter in a difference equation form allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the filter's characteristics. It also allows for the filter to be implemented using digital signal processing techniques, making it applicable to a wide range of real-world applications.

4. How is a digital filter's transfer function related to its difference equation form?

The transfer function of a digital filter can be derived from its difference equation form using the Z-transform. This transform converts the difference equation into a polynomial function, which describes the filter's frequency response and allows for analysis of its frequency characteristics.

5. Are there any limitations to representing a digital filter in a difference equation form?

While representing a digital filter in a difference equation form has many benefits, it also has limitations. The difference equation form can only accurately represent linear time-invariant filters, and it requires a large amount of computational resources for real-time implementation. Additionally, the difference equation form may not accurately reflect the physical characteristics of a non-ideal filter, such as noise and distortion.