Digital Logic Fundamentals help

In summary, someone is stuck on a part of a Digital Logic course, and is looking for help. They may want to try looking for simplified models of the material, or talking to a professor or friend who is also taking the course.
Random89
I have recently started my second year at Uni and one of the areas I am studying is Digital Logic Fundamentals. However due to a mixup with my timetable I missed the first few weeks of the course. I am trying to catch up but have become stuck on part of the course that wasn't explained well in the online notes.

Does anyone have any good resources or books that can help me understand this area especially understanding TTL's, Totem Pole outputs and just generally anything in that area?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Random89 said:
I have recently started my second year at Uni and one of the areas I am studying is Digital Logic Fundamentals. However due to a mixup with my timetable I missed the first few weeks of the course. I am trying to catch up but have become stuck on part of the course that wasn't explained well in the online notes.

Does anyone have any good resources or books that can help me understand this area especially understanding TTL's, Totem Pole outputs and just generally anything in that area?

Thanks.

Not to sound snarky here, but friends who are also taking this course? The professor / grad student teaching it (you can often ask for a longer appointment if you go prepared)? If you only have spot troubles (i.e. generally understand the material, but have (lots of?) little problems here and there), they'd be your best bet.

EDIT: Was there a course textbook assigned? Your prof may be able to recommend one available from your bookstore or library. I doubt that Mano and Kime, "Logic and Computer Design Fundamentals", the textbook I used, is still in print. Or someone else on this board may be able to recommend one.

is TTL even used anymore in the real world?

I have got the course text suggested but it is one of those books which is not easy to comprehend with no knowledge of the subject. I have tried talking to the lecturer but he just keeps suggesting the course texts. I was just hoping someone here had some experience of books or sites they have used that explains it fully (as in how they work) and not just what they do.

Random89 said:
I have got the course text suggested but it is one of those books which is not easy to comprehend with no knowledge of the subject. I have tried talking to the lecturer but he just keeps suggesting the course texts. I was just hoping someone here had some experience of books or sites they have used that explains it fully (as in how they work) and not just what they do.

I'd suggest that instead of trying to find a full explanation, that you instead look for a simplified model, and then build up your understanding as you pick up transistor theory (second semester course? third year?) A high level explanation may be more suited, especially if you don't have any / much experience (in other courses) with even BJTs. If it may seem that they've gone over a disproportionate amount of material, that's probably because they glossed over a lot of the (low-level) details, which is what you'd expect for a (introductory digital) course. Once you've got this high-level understanding down, you can start delving downwards. Unless you guys have already done standard circuit analysis and covered transistor operation in other courses.

It may seem daunting when presented with circuits involving 2, 3, 4+ transistors, but the key is to simplify the functionality to on or off states (the whole digital paradigm). Thus, when you have an NPN (BJT arrow Not Pointed iN--my memory technique) and the base receives a '1' (possibly 5V through a resistor) it's on, and you pretend that the collector-emitter are connected together (with no connection to the base--this isn't true but is functionally correct for this first-level analysis). The same thing happens when a PNP (BJT arrow Pointed iN Polarity) has a '0' applied to its base.

When the opposite of these apply (a '0' to an NPN base, '1' to a PNP) make the simplification that the Collector and Emitter are disconnected (and that, again, neither of these are connected to the base).

When the output stage of a logic circuit contains a PNP and an NPN with the collectors tied together, or one NPN pulling low (output gets connected to ground when on) and one NPN pulling high (output gets connected to 5V, Vcc, or '1' when on), this is known as a totem pole output, because the amount of current that can be supplied or sunk from the output is (roughly) the same (when properly designed--neglecting device specifics). This is as opposed to an open collector configuration, or an open collector with a pull-up resistor attached to the output.

I hope this helps. But here's a (very) high-level intro that doesn't require transistor analysis, and also goes over other varieties of logic:
http://www.asic-world.com/digital/gates5.html

Proton Soup said:
is TTL even used anymore in the real world?

Yes.

Thanks for the help, the asic-world site looks like the sort of thing I need. Also I have been told that by the end of the course I need to:
A 4-bit arithmetic and logic unit (ALU) is to be designed for a 4-bit microprocessor. The ALU has two 4-bit wide inputs, labelled ii and i2 and a 4-bit output labelled out. In addition there is a carry-out bit.
Anyone know any good sites for teaching me this side of it?

Maxwell said:
Yes.

OK, where is it used other than stuff like legacy military equipment?

the reason it concerns me is I'm not convinced it is a good use the students' tuition money, since most of them will not be using it.

Random89 said:
Thanks for the help, the asic-world site looks like the sort of thing I need. Also I have been told that by the end of the course I need to:

Anyone know any good sites for teaching me this side of it?

An ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit) is at the heart of any CPU (Central Processing Unit), and is the module that performs logical operations (e.g. 0xf AND 0x4--0b0111 AND 0b0100) and mathematical operations e.g. ROTATE (this is analogous to division/multiplication by powers of 2), ADD, etc.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_logic_unit

This is probably more of a final project / lab thing, rather than something you'd do on an exam (so no need to panic!) I would suggest showing up to class, and (pre)reading through the textbook. And coming here whenever you've got really intractable problems.

Proton Soup said:
OK, where is it used other than stuff like legacy military equipment?

the reason it concerns me is I'm not convinced it is a good use the students' tuition money, since most of them will not be using it.

I think it's important in the sense that it's an introduction to non-amplifier use of the BJT. By the same token, how many EECS students are are actually likely to do low-level logic design? I think this just adds to cumulative knowledge, and the overall knowledge base that an EE should have (and in and of itself provides a nice historical perspective).

It's handy when you need to use a single gate instead of a full quad pack (or whatever multiple it is that you're using). So using a BJT or few, you can save 40 or 50 cents and a little bit of space. Or when you've goofed and need to add a logic function when you've already got an otherwise good board manufactured. Again, just more cumulative EE knowledge.

FAQ: Digital Logic Fundamentals help

1. What is digital logic?

Digital logic is a branch of engineering and computer science that deals with the representation, manipulation, and design of digital signals and circuits. It is the foundation of modern digital electronics and is used in a wide range of technologies, including computers, smartphones, and other digital devices.

2. What are the basic components of digital logic?

The basic components of digital logic include logic gates, which are electronic circuits that perform logical operations on binary inputs. These gates are then combined to create more complex circuits, such as adders, multiplexers, and flip-flops. Other important components include registers, counters, and memory units.

3. What is the difference between combinational and sequential logic?

Combinational logic is a type of logic circuit where the output depends only on the current input values, and there is no memory element. On the other hand, sequential logic has memory elements, such as flip-flops, which allow it to store and remember previous inputs and outputs. This enables sequential logic to perform more complex operations and store data.

4. How is digital logic used in real-world applications?

Digital logic is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including computers, smartphones, digital cameras, and many other electronic devices. It is also used in communication systems, such as telecommunication networks and the internet. Additionally, digital logic is used in industrial automation, medical equipment, and transportation systems.

5. What are some common design tools for digital logic circuits?

There are several design tools and software programs used for designing and simulating digital logic circuits. Some popular options include LogicWorks, Quartus II, and Xilinx ISE. These tools allow engineers to design, test, and optimize digital logic circuits before implementing them in hardware.