1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dipole as a torsion pendulum

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    An electric dipole p is suspended as a torsion pendulum, which is allowed to pivot
    about the nz-axis only. The dipole has moment of inertia I and the torsion spring
    has Hooke constant K. In the absence of an electric Field the torsion pendulum's
    equilibrium orientation theta-not is equal to zero. The dipole's orientation is allowed to change only in the direction permitted by the torsion pendulum (i.e., rotation 
    about the nz axis). A uniform electric Field E is applied.

(a) Derive the equations of motion for the torsion pendulum for arbitrary dipole
    moment p and uniform electric Field E.

(b) Find, from the equations of motion, the equilibrium orientation of the pendulum
    Theta-not(E) when the uniform electric field is E

I'm not really even sure where to start with this problem. I know the equations:
    torque = p x E (for a dipole)
    torque = K*theta (for a torsion pendulum)
    torque = I*alpha (for rotation)

Other than that, though, I don't know where to go. Am I supposed to solve for theta and derive the rest of the equations from there, or should I solve for alpha and integrate? Or am I on the wrong track completely?

Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted