Finding the Moment of a Force Using Varignon's Theorem

In summary: I want to know how the right hand rule is used.You don't need any right hand rule in simple problems like that.You will get more confused.
sevag00
Hi. I'm really confused in how to find the moment done by force.

I want to find the moment done by the force in this figure.

Capture.jpg

The book has resolved the force into its components using principle of moments.

Capture1.jpg

So, how do i find the moments of the components of the force? I know I'm going to use the right hand rule, but i don't know where i am going to put my thumb.

Physics news on Phys.org
sevag00 said:
Hi. I'm really confused in how to find the moment done by force.

So, how do i find the moments of the components of the force? I know I'm going to use the right hand rule, but i don't know where i am going to put my thumb.

Show your work please.
Anyway,moment =Force x Perpendicular distance

I know how to find the magnitude. I'm asking for the direction.

sevag00 said:
I know how to find the magnitude. I'm asking for the direction.
If you know it,then show your work.
PF requires one to show his/her work before getting any help(In the homework section):smile:

Yeah. But first i should find the direction of the moments of the components of the force so that i get the right result.

sevag00 said:
Yeah. But first i should find the direction of the moments of the components of the force so that i get the right result.
You don't need to calculate that.Moment is a turning effect.It does not have any directions.It has direction of rotation.You just have to use common sense and decide whether it's anticlockwise or clockwise
For example,look at this:
attachment.php?attachmentid=64172&stc=1&d=1385061988.gif

Look at diagram a,Force F produces an Anticlockwise moment.
Look at diagram b,Force F now produces a Clockwise moment.

Think about your diagram now

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 512
Okay. But there is something called right hand rule that you indirectly used to find the direction of (a) and (b).
I want to know how the right hand rule is used.

I know what your saying. Your taking a direction vector from point O to the line of action of the force. And by using cross product, you're getting the magnitude and direction. But I'm not using that method. I'm using Varignon's theorem.

Related to Finding the Moment of a Force Using Varignon's Theorem

1. What is the direction of a moment?

The direction of a moment is the direction in which a force is applied to an object, usually measured in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.

2. How is the direction of a moment determined?

The direction of a moment is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your right hand in the direction of the force and curl your fingers in the direction of rotation, your thumb will point in the direction of the moment.

3. Can the direction of a moment change?

Yes, the direction of a moment can change if the direction of the force or the point of rotation changes. It can also change if the object's orientation changes.

4. What is the significance of the direction of a moment?

The direction of a moment is important in understanding how an object will rotate and the resulting motion. It also helps engineers and scientists design and analyze structures and machines.

5. How does the direction of a moment affect an object's stability?

The direction of a moment can affect an object's stability by determining whether it will rotate in a stable or unstable manner. If the moment is in the same direction as the object's rotation, it will be more stable, whereas if it is in the opposite direction, it may cause the object to topple or become unstable.