'Direction' of Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the convention of assigning a direction to the angular momentum of a rotating object. This is done to make mathematical calculations more convenient and corresponds to other conventions used in fields such as electronics. Without this convention, it would be difficult to distinguish rotations around different axes.
frankhawes
Hello everyone!

I'm going to uni in October and I'm brushing up on my mechanics before I go.
I've just got to a bit that has confused me before and has confused me again now:

When you have a rotating object, say it is rotating in front of you in a vertical plane and it is rotating anti-clockwise then I think I'm correct in saying that the direction of the angular momentum would be towards you.
I don't understand this, as far as I am aware there is nothing physical coming towards me...
Is this is just convention? If it is then why has the convention arisen, I can't see the convenience in arbitrarily giving the angular momentum a direction.

Please can someone help me :)
Thanks in advance,
Frank

Physics news on Phys.org
frankhawes said:
I don't understand this, as far as I am aware there is nothing physical coming towards me...
The axis of rotation is pointing at you. See angular velocity, which is also vector.

frankhawes said:
Is this is just convention?
Yes.

frankhawes said:
If it is then why has the convention arisen,
To make the math more convenient.

frankhawes said:
I can't see the convenience in arbitrarily giving the angular momentum a direction.
How would you distinguish rotations around different axes, if angular momentum didn't have a direction?

Last edited:
A.T. said:
Then do some math, and try to find a more convenient convention.

Thanks for your quick reply.
I have my same confusions over angular velocity.
Do you have any suggestions about what 'math' I can try? I agree this is probably a good way of developing an intuition for the convention.

Thanks again,
Frank

frankhawes said:
I have my same confusions over angular velocity. Do you have any suggestions about what 'math' I can try?
Try to mathematically describe arbitrary rotations. How would you distinguish rotations around different axes, if angular velocity didn't have a direction?

Likes 1 person
A.T. said:
Try to mathematically describe arbitrary rotations. How would you distinguish rotations around different axes, if angular velocity didn't have a direction?

Okay, Thank you.

Consider the alternative of describing an angular quantity, such as angular position, angular velocity, angular acceleration, angular inertia, or torque with something other than a vector, such as some type of plane. You'd have the complication of mathematically describing the plane and trying to perform math such as torque = angular inertia x angular acceleration. Using vectors to describe angular quantities eliminates this issue.

As mentioned above, the usage of right hand rule (so that counter clockwise rotation is a vector pointed towards you as opposed to away from you) is a convention, but it corresponds to some conventions used in electronics, such as positive or negative charge, the direction of a magnetic field, and it's relationship to charges moving perpendicular to the magnetic field.

Likes frankhawes
rcgldr said:
Consider the alternative of describing an angular quantity, such as angular position, angular velocity, angular acceleration, angular inertia, or torque with something other than a vector, such as some type of plane. You'd have the complication of mathematically describing the plane and trying to perform math such as torque = angular inertia x angular acceleration. Using vectors to describe angular quantities eliminates this issue.

As mentioned above, the usage of right hand rule (so that counter clockwise rotation is a vector pointed towards you as opposed to away from you) is a convention, but it corresponds to some conventions used in electronics, such as positive or negative charge, the direction of a magnetic field, and it's relationship to charges moving perpendicular to the magnetic field.
Thank you, this makes sense :)

What is the direction of angular momentum?

The direction of angular momentum is perpendicular to the plane of rotation and follows the right-hand rule.

How is the direction of angular momentum determined?

The direction of angular momentum is determined by the direction of the axis of rotation and the direction of the object's angular velocity.

Does the direction of angular momentum change?

Yes, the direction of angular momentum can change if the axis of rotation or the object's angular velocity changes.

What is the relationship between angular momentum and torque?

Angular momentum and torque are directly proportional. Increased torque results in increased angular momentum.

Can the direction of angular momentum be reversed?

Yes, the direction of angular momentum can be reversed if the object's angular velocity is reversed or if the axis of rotation is changed to the opposite direction.