Discover Visible Wavelengths for Neon Spectrum | Resources & Links Included

In summary, the conversation is about finding a list of neon visible wavelengths and linking them to a spectrum colour chart. The person has tried searching but has had difficulty due to too much information. They have attempted using the NIST Atomic spectra database and inputting a wavelength range, but it did not narrow down the results enough. Suggestions were made to set a minimum relative intensity and output the results to a text file for easier sorting. The person only needs the wavelengths for a few lines and is seeking help in narrowing down the results.
greswd
I need a list of neon visible wavelengths.

I wonder if any of you know of any good resources.

I've tried searching but sometimes I get too many numbers. I also need to link each number with the spectrum colour chart, but so far I can't find anything like that.

cos I don't want just want an image of the spectrum with a scale, I want the numbers. Thank you.

The only one I've managed to find is this:
Neon%20-%20Atomspektrum.jpg

But the numbers are too blurry

Physics news on Phys.org
Vagn said:
Have you tried the NIST Atomic spectra database?

like I mentioned earlier, it throws out everything. too much info. i only need the visible ones.

greswd said:
like I mentioned earlier, it throws out everything. too much info. i only need the visible ones.
You can input a wavelength range.

You can also have it output to a text file that you could read into something like Excel. Then you can sort it however you want.

Vagn said:
You can input a wavelength range.

I did that too. Still too many. Maybe you can help me narrow it down?

I just need the wavelengths for these few lines:

neon_spectral_lines.png

You can also set the minimum relative intensity so that you just see the brighter lines. For example, if you set the minimum relative intensity to 20,000 (at the bottom), you just get 11 lines. This should be a small enough sample to get you started.

phyzguy said:
You can also set the minimum relative intensity so that you just see the brighter lines. For example, if you set the minimum relative intensity to 20,000 (at the bottom), you just get 11 lines. This should be a small enough sample to get you started.
thanks bro

1. What are visible wavelengths and how are they related to the neon spectrum?

Visible wavelengths are a range of electromagnetic radiation that can be seen by the human eye. The neon spectrum refers to the specific wavelengths of light emitted by neon gas when excited. These visible wavelengths are related to the neon spectrum because different wavelengths of light are produced when the neon gas is excited, creating the unique colors associated with neon signs.

2. How can we discover visible wavelengths for the neon spectrum?

We can discover visible wavelengths for the neon spectrum by using a spectroscope. This instrument separates light into its component wavelengths, allowing us to see the specific wavelengths of light emitted by the neon gas. We can also use a diffraction grating to disperse the light and observe the neon spectrum.

3. What are some resources for learning more about the neon spectrum?

There are many resources available for learning more about the neon spectrum. Some include scientific articles and research papers, educational websites and videos, and books on spectroscopy and atomic emission. Additionally, visiting a science museum or a neon sign exhibit can provide hands-on learning opportunities.

4. Are there any practical applications for understanding the neon spectrum?

Yes, there are several practical applications for understanding the neon spectrum. For example, the neon spectrum is used in neon signs and other types of gas discharge lamps. It is also used in spectroscopy to identify and study the chemical composition of various substances.

5. Can we see the neon spectrum without specialized equipment?

No, we cannot see the neon spectrum without specialized equipment. Since the neon gas emits light in the visible range, we can see the colors produced by the neon spectrum when it is used in neon signs. However, to see the specific wavelengths of light, we need to use a spectroscope or diffraction grating to separate the light into its component wavelengths.