Dispersion relation for diatomic linear chain.

In summary, the dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain, where the distance is a/2 between each atom, is a/2 + (1- cos(ka/2))k-values for reduced zone scheme or a/2 - (1- cos(ka/2))k-values for extended zone scheme.
Wminus
Hi. Here's the dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain, where the distance is a/2 between each atom.
3caf672ecab58d1d517a1ad3459f0827.png

My issue here is that if you set m_1=m_2=m, i.e. set both atoms equal to each other, it doesn't automatically reduce to the old acoustic dispersion relation as the ± term doesn't disappear.

What's up with that?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see any problem. Maybe you should fresh up your knowledge of the trigonometric equations?

DrDu said:
I can't see any problem. Maybe you should fresh up your knowledge of the trigonometric equations?
OK, sorry I should've written everything out in details in the OP. My problem is that the plus-minus sign is being problematic. It gives two solutions that are phase-shifted with regards to each other. Setting the masses equal, the equation from OP reduces to:

##\omega^2 = K(2/m) \pm K \sqrt{(2/m)^2 - (2/m)^2 sin^2{ka/2}} = \frac{2K}{m}(1 \pm cos(ka/2)) \Rightarrow \omega_+ = \sqrt{\frac{4K}{m}} |cos(ka/4)|## & ## \omega_- = \sqrt{\frac{4K}{m}} |sin(ka/4)|##.

How do I get rid of the ##\omega_+## term, the optical mode? Which physical argument makes it invalid?

They are both correct. Note that your basis contains two atoms and not just one, so that a is different.

DrDu said:
They are both correct. Note that your basis contains two atoms and not just one, so that a is different.
If you graph both of them in a diagram, you get a dispersion relation with 2 modes! This is supposed to be impossible, isn't it?

No, it isn't. You have a basis with two atoms, so you get two modes, an acoustic one and an optical one. However, when the two atoms become identical, the two curves will touch at the zone boundaries.
Do you know the difference between a reduced and an extended zone scheme? Here it is for the example of a quasi-free electron:
http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~jeffwass/2ndYrSem/pics/Slide19.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Wminus
I think I do, yes. But in the case of a single-atom chain there should be only one mode regardless of what basis or zone scheme you choose. Right?

I mean, the two-atom chain with masses m_1 and m_2 should turn into a standard single-atom chain if we set m_1=m_2=m. So the dispersion relation should go from just one mode to two, right?

It doesn't because you chose to describe it using a lattice with a cell containing two atoms instead of one. Given N atoms for a whole crystal, you can describe it in terms of either N k-values forming one band or N/2 k-values forming two bands.

Likes Wminus
DrDu said:
It doesn't because you chose to describe it using a lattice with a cell containing two atoms instead of one. Given N atoms for a whole crystal, you can describe it in terms of either N k-values forming one band or N/2 k-values forming two bands.
I think I get all of this now. It's got to do with the reduced/extended scheme ways of viewing the dispersion relation. thanks.

1. What is a dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain?

A dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the frequency and wave vector of a wave in the chain. It shows how the wave propagates through the chain and is affected by the properties of the individual atoms and their interactions.

2. How is the dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain derived?

The dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain is derived using the equations of motion for the individual atoms in the chain. By solving these equations, the resulting equation will describe the relationship between the frequency and wave vector.

3. What factors affect the dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain?

The dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain is affected by the mass and spring constants of the individual atoms, as well as the distance between them. The type of bond between the atoms, such as covalent or ionic, can also have an impact on the dispersion relation.

4. How does the dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain differ from a monatomic chain?

A diatomic linear chain has two different types of atoms, while a monatomic chain only has one type. This results in a more complicated dispersion relation for the diatomic chain, as the different atoms will have different properties that affect the wave propagation. In a monatomic chain, the dispersion relation is simpler as all atoms are identical.

5. What applications does the dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain have?

The dispersion relation for a diatomic linear chain has applications in various fields such as solid state physics, material science, and nanotechnology. It can be used to study the properties of different materials, predict the behavior of waves in these materials, and design new materials with specific properties.