1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Displacement in Simple Harmonic Motion

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    1. Hi! I am new to this forum. I was wondering if someone could help me with this problem. Thanks in advance!

A 0.27 kg mass is suspended on a spring that stretches a distance of 4.9 cm. The mass is then pulled down an additional distance of 12.5 cm and released. What's the displacement from the equilibrium position with the mass attached (in cm) after 0.42 s? Take up to be positive and use g = 9.81 m/s2.

2. Relevant equations
    ω(angular velocity)= (k/x)^0.5

3. The attempt at a solution

First I solved for k:

Then I solved for the angular velocity:
    ω=squareroot 2

Then I tried to come up with an equation for displacement using the format:
    x(t) = Asin(ωt)

i know that ω=root2

but how do i solve for A?? or what is A? should it be 4.9 or 12.5 or the sum of the two :confused: btw please correct me if im wrong in my calculation. thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2
    4.9 cm is the location of the equilibrium position. They're asking you to find the displacement after t seconds relative to the equilibrium position, so set your equilibrium position to 0. From the equilibrium position, they extended the displacement by 12.5 cm.
  4. Mar 23, 2008 #3
    You know anything about S.H.M equations?
  5. Mar 26, 2008 #4
    thanks! i got the answer now =)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?