Displacement of Transverse Waves HELP

In summary, the displacement of a transverse wave pulse is described by y=2/(x^(4) +1), with both x and y in cm. The wavefunction as a function of position x and time t if it is propagating in the positive x direction at 3.0 cm/s is described by y(x)-3.0 cm.
grapejellypie
Displacement of Transverse Waves HELP!

Homework Statement

At time t=0, the displacement of a transverse wave pulse is described by y=2/(x^(4) +1), with both x and y in cm. Write an expression for the wavefunction as a function of position x and time t if it is propagating in the positive x direction at 3.0 cm/s

Homework Equations

I'm not sure if this has to do with partial derivatives...and I don't quite understand partial derivatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that v= 3.0 cm/s...

Physics news on Phys.org

Well your given a stationary wave pulse [itex]f(x,0)=y(x)=\frac{2}{x^4+1}[/itex] and you want to find f(x,t) that satisfies the wave equation [itex]f_{xx}(x,t)-\frac{1}{v^2}f_{tt}(x,t)=0[/itex]. You probably know that any function of the form [itex]f(x \pm vt)[/itex] will satisfy the wave equation, and that if you want just the solution that travels forward at speed v, you choose the negative sign (i.e. [itex]f(x - vt)[/itex]). You are given y(x), so what is y(x-vt)?

what do you mean by fxx? is that the second derivative of x?

Yes,

[tex]f_{xx}(x,t)=\frac{\partial ^2 f(x,t)}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

would y(x-vt) be [2/(x^(4) +1)] - 3.0 cm?

No, just substitute x-vt everywhere you see an x.

thank you so much for all of your help! i really, really appreciate it!

I'm sorry, but I have another question:

why do you set f{xx}(x,t)-1/v^(2) * f{tt}(x,t) = 0?

You mean [itex]f_{xx}(x,t)-\frac{1}{v^2}f_{tt}(x,t)=0[/itex]?

That's the one-dimensional wave equation; have you not seen it before?

Would it help if I wrote it like this:
[tex]\frac{\partial ^2 f(x,t)}{\partial x^2}-\frac{1}{v^2} \frac{\partial ^2 f(x,t)}{\partial t^2}=0[/tex]

i've seen the two second derivatives equal to each other, but i never thought of manipulating the equation to move the variables to one side.

thank you again for all of your help. i really appreciate it!

so just to double-check...the answer would be y(x,t) =2/[(x-3t)^(4)+1] ?

Yes, you can check your answer yourself too by seeing what happens at t=0, you should get y(x) back. Also, you can take the partial second derivatives and verify that [itex]f_{xx}(x,t)-\frac{1}{v^2}f_{tt}(x,t)=0[/itex]. You also know that the pulse should be traveling at 3cm/s to the right; which means that since the pulse is centered at x=0 for t=0, you should have a pulse that is centered at x=3cm for t=1s. These are checks that you should do to convince yourself that you have the correct answer.

Related to Displacement of Transverse Waves HELP

1. What is the definition of displacement in transverse waves?

Displacement in transverse waves refers to the distance and direction of the movement of individual particles in the medium as the wave passes through. It is measured from the equilibrium position to the peak or trough of the wave.

2. How is displacement of a transverse wave related to its amplitude?

The amplitude of a transverse wave is directly proportional to its displacement. This means that as the displacement increases, the amplitude also increases, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the displacement of a transverse wave?

The displacement of a transverse wave can be affected by the frequency, wavelength, and amplitude of the wave. It can also be influenced by the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity.

4. Is the displacement of a transverse wave always perpendicular to the direction of the wave?

Yes, in transverse waves, the displacement of individual particles occurs in a direction perpendicular to the direction of the wave. This is one of the defining characteristics of transverse waves.

5. How is the displacement of a transverse wave measured?

The displacement of a transverse wave is typically measured in meters (m) or centimeters (cm) from the equilibrium position to the peak or trough of the wave. It can also be measured in terms of the amplitude of the wave.