Solving Dissociation Reaction Homework

In summary: Please post HW threads in the appropriate HW forum by subject.Sorry, we had this task in thermodynamics, so I posted it into the physics forum instead of the chemistry forum.
krootox217

Homework Statement

Hi, I tried the following task:

GYmX3j0.jpg

I tried to solve it, but apparently it's not correct:
DMGp6Qf.jpg

JnzjFE4.jpg

Can someone show me the right way to do this?

Homework Equations

See above

The Attempt at a Solution

see above[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post HW threads in the appropriate HW forum by subject.

Sorry, we had this task in thermodynamics, so I posted it into the physics forum instead of the chemistry forum.

Can someone help me to get the correct values?

Can you justify your 3× factor ?

In the task it says, that the pressure is 3 bar, so i used this value for the partial pressure

is this wrong?

OK got that - I was reading rapidly and imagined it was some mixup deriving from the 3 in PCl3.

Also I had to check back because I had a queasy moment of wondering whether I had ever understood right. But I was reassured by the Wikipedia article https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_constant#Pressure_dependence

You see I am coming from biochemistry/biophysics where it is usual to give units when stating equilibrium constants. This is very convenient for visualisation (whether a 'binding constant' is mM, μM, or nM speaks to you immediately of how tight a binding is. If talking of binding of oxygen to respiratory proteins mm Hg or atm is also suggestive.) And you always know what you are talking about if you use such units. So it was only here that I realized that a lot of people use K's without any units, and officially when no units are quoted, molarities (to an appropriate power) are intended. I hate this convention.

But I guess that is the convention being used here, so I suggest convert your atm into molarities, assume the quoted K is for molarities, and see if you get the right answer.

(About half the time this is not an issue, for equilibria like A ⇔ B or A + B ⇔ C + D the equilibrium constant would be dimensionless.)

Second opinions welcome.

When I try it that way, I get 0.019M for PCl5 at the end and 0.05M for each of the resulting substances. Therefore the dissociation degree of PCl5 would be 73% since the start amount was 0.069M. Do these values make sence?

I will understand the question to be that the pressure was 3 bar at the end of the reaction. I guess it doesn't matter what it was at the beginning. That is the simplest thing but I don't know how you get your start molarity. The way I do it at STP I remember one mole gas occupies 22.4 L, therefore 1 L at STP contains 1/22.4 moles ≈ 0.0446 M. so if it is 3 bar that is about 0.14 M. (though that is not very far from your final total molarity). So maybe you are in the right ball park but unless you set it out a bit more it is not very clear.

Oh i thought that the 3 bar were at the beginning, so I converted everything in SI units and used p*V=n*R*T to get the volume. Then i converted the volume in liters, and divided the starting amount of moles to get the mol/l which I used to calculate the values

You got the mole fractions wrong also.
epenguin said:
OK got that - I was reading rapidly and imagined it was some mixup deriving from the 3 in PCl3.

Also I had to check back because I had a queasy moment of wondering whether I had ever understood right. But I was reassured by the Wikipedia article https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_constant#Pressure_dependence

You see I am coming from biochemistry/biophysics where it is usual to give units when stating equilibrium constants. This is very convenient for visualisation (whether a 'binding constant' is mM, μM, or nM speaks to you immediately of how tight a binding is. If talking of binding of oxygen to respiratory proteins mm Hg or atm is also suggestive.) And you always know what you are talking about if you use such units. So it was only here that I realized that a lot of people use K's without any units, and officially when no units are quoted, molarities (to an appropriate power) are intended. I hate this convention.

But I guess that is the convention being used here, so I suggest convert your atm into molarities, assume the quoted K is for molarities, and see if you get the right answer.

(About half the time this is not an issue, for equilibria like A ⇔ B or A + B ⇔ C + D the equilibrium constant would be dimensionless.)

Second opinions welcome.
The quoted K is based on partial pressures expressed in bars. The equilibrium constant is dimensionless because the standard state of each species is 1 bar.

krootox217 said:
Oh i thought that the 3 bar were at the beginning, so I converted everything in SI units and used p*V=n*R*T to get the volume. Then i converted the volume in liters, and divided the starting amount of moles to get the mol/l which I used to calculate the values
If x is the number of moles that dissociate, the total number of moles increase to 1+x, so the final mole fractions are x/(1+x), x/(1+x), and (1-x)/(1+x). If the pressure is held constant at 3 bars, then the final partial pressures are 3x/(1+x), 3x/(1+x), and 3(1-x)/(1+x). Try the problem again with these substitutions and see what you get.

Chet

Likes krootox217
It worked, thank you :)

What is a dissociation reaction?

A dissociation reaction is a chemical reaction in which a compound breaks apart into smaller molecules or ions. This process is also known as ionization.

What is the purpose of solving dissociation reaction homework?

The purpose of solving dissociation reaction homework is to practice and apply the principles of chemistry and chemical reactions. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and deepen understanding of dissociation reactions.

How do I solve a dissociation reaction homework problem?

To solve a dissociation reaction homework problem, first write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, identify the reactants and products and determine the type of reaction (e.g. acid-base, precipitation, etc.). Next, use the appropriate formulas and equations to calculate the molar mass and concentration of the reactants and products. Finally, check your answer and make sure it is balanced and follows the laws of conservation of mass and charge.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving dissociation reaction homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving dissociation reaction homework include forgetting to balance the chemical equation, using incorrect formulas or equations, and not paying attention to units and significant figures. It is also important to double check your calculations and answer to ensure accuracy.

Can solving dissociation reaction homework be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, solving dissociation reaction homework can be applied to real-world situations. Many chemical reactions involve dissociation, such as the dissociation of acids and bases in our bodies and the dissociation of compounds in the environment. Additionally, understanding dissociation reactions is important in fields such as pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and industrial chemistry.