1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divergence physics homework

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In deriving the formula
    div v = [itex]\frac{∂v_{x}}{∂x}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂v_{y}}{∂y}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂v_{z}}{∂z}[/itex]
    we used a rectangular solid infinitesimal volume; however, any shape will do (although the calculation gets harder). To see an example, derive the same formula using the prism-shaped volume shown (figure attached). This could be a volume element next to an irregular surface.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of divergence

div v = lim Δτ→0 [itex]\frac{\int v \cdot da}{Δτ}[/itex] where Δτ = small volume and the integral is a over a closed surface bound Δτ

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I am having some issue with this question. A thing to note is that we are approximating the integral as just v[itex]\circ[/itex]da where v is at some point on the surface. This is due to it being an infinitesimal volume.

The main problem I am having is I think I am making a mistake on the top face somehow. If you look at figure 2 which is my crude drawing to represent n it is then

n = (cos[itex]\theta[/itex] jhat + sin[itex]\theta[/itex] khat)

So then for the top face if h = the slanted side
    da = hΔx(cos[itex]\theta[/itex] jhat + sin[itex]\theta[/itex] khat)
    =Δx(Δz jhat + Δy khat) because h can be expressed in terms of sin and cos of the other sides.

so then v dot da = v[itex]_{y}[/itex](x, y, z)ΔxΔz + v[itex]_{z}[/itex](x,y,z)ΔxΔy

hopefully so far so good. Now for the other faces

bottom

da = ΔxΔy (-khat direction)

v dot da = -v[itex]_{z}[/itex](x, y, z-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δz)ΔxΔy

back(zx plane)

da = ΔxΔz

v dot da = -v[itex]_{y}[/itex](x, y-[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δy, z)ΔxΔz

so then when I put it all together and divide by Δτ = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]ΔxΔyΔz

it almost looks like the definition of a derivative except I am left with a 1/2. What did I miss? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you need me to clarify let me know.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2
    Hey guys, I would really appreciate some help so if there is something I was unclear about let me know and I will try and clarify further thanks.

4. Sep 24, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note ##f(x+a) \approx f(x) + f'(x)\:a## for small ##a##.

Likewise ##f(x-a) \approx f(x) - f'(x)\:a##

Thus, how would you approximate ##V_y(x, y-\frac{\Delta y}{2}, z)##?

5. Sep 24, 2013 #4
    So

=[itex]\frac{[V_{y}(x,y,z)-V_{y}(x, y-\frac{1}{2}Δy,z)]}{\frac{1}{2}Δy}[/itex]
    =V[itex]_{y}[/itex](x,y,z) - V[itex]_{y}[/itex](x,y,z) + [itex]\frac{∂v_{y}}{∂y}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δy) / ([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]Δy)
    =[itex]\frac{∂v_{y}}{∂y}[/itex]

correct?

Sorry for the poor formatting I am still getting used to this latex stuff

6. Sep 24, 2013 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's correct.

7. Sep 24, 2013 #6
    Okay thank you again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted