DIY Diode Clipping Circuit: +10/-10V Supply

In summary, the student is trying to build a circuit to take the input waveform, on the left, and extract the output waveform on the right. In his circuit, he can only use basic diodes, resistors, and DC supplies of +10 and -10V. He has trouble understanding how his circuit would work, and has tried to simulate it but has not been able to. If the supplies were 10V, the circuit would clip the signal at +/- 10.6V. He needs to clip at +/-5 volts with a series resistor.
vk6kro said:
You probably used a bridge rectifier. These have two diodes in series with the output for either input polarity. So, you get two diode drops.

Yeah - I did use a bridge rectifier, but I observed more than one *additional* diode drop in the output. i.e. for the half-wave rectifier my output was c.10.9V and for my full-wave rectifier it was 9.6V - so it seems an extra ~0.7V are being eaten up somewhere . . .

& I really can't thank you enough for answering all these questions - should I be posting somewhere else, generally? I don't want you to feel obliged to answer my never-ending inquiries [though I do appreciate your lucid answers - which can be a bit of a rarity online!].

All the best,

RaxA

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you don't have a capacitor on the output of your bridge rectifier.
With no load, a capacitor will charge up to the peak values of the output from the diodes. This then drops with load, producing "ripple" on the output. Bigger capacitors give less ripple for the same load.
A typical capacitor for a small power supply would be 1000 uF at 25 volts.
Connect it between the + and - outputs of the bridge rectifier.

Yes, you should be posting in the Electrical Engineering section if these are not homework related questions.
https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102
We have to answer questions differently in the homework section compared with the Electrical Engineering section.
Everyone is very friendly there and welcoming to beginners willing to learn.