How Can I Make My DIY Swirl Push Maker Create Perfect Spirals?

In summary: I have to find an option to make something down which rotates and makes the swirl. I will keep trying to find a solution.
AZFIREBALL said:
Is the batter stiff enough not to flow by gravity? If it is very stiff, the supply container can be placed overhead. If it flows, due to gravity, it will need to be at table level or below and allow the pressure to move it through the tube, and out the nozzle. I would think it needs to be stiff so it does not flatten out too much on the table after being extruded and prior to being fried.

The batter is still enough to flow by gravity, but it won't fall like a straight line since it has some the star design around it. I guess it can go around the tube without breaking into pieces. I will try adding a straw to test it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
NTL2009 said:
I'm also curious about the "12V actuator" for the dough. Is this a solenoid providing pressure, or a positive displacement type device? I really think you want something that provides a positive displacement, so you drive a set volume of dough per unit time. A motor/stepper-motor and threaded rod or lead screw would do it.

Hi NTL2009,
Thanks for your ideas!
Sure I will keep you guys up to date on my progress. I am checking on the x-y table too, also thinking of adding arduino to sync the speed. Looks like acutator internally has the threaded screw. I will find out more on this.

AZFIREBALL said:
junasiv: Can you tell us how automated you would like the operation to be. Will someone be operating and monitoring this system at all times while in use? How many hours per day do you expect the system will be in operation? Do you have any special operational or regulatory requirements. How about cleaning requirements? Any material restrictions or code requirements?
Hi Azfireball,
Can you tell us how automated you would like the operation to be. Will someone be operating and monitoring this system at all times while in use?
Yes!. Because someone should be watching the shape and make sure it is spiral and the edges around it is sharp (star). Also If we separate the frying portion out of this, I can have this machine producing the dough spirals continuously and have many oil frying cookers. Another reason is, the dough gets harder if we keep out for sometimes, even the spirals. The dough is kind of made instantly during this process.

How many hours per day do you expect the system will be in operation?
It is kind of a low to medium level operation. So I guess the machine will operate 3-4 hours.

Do you have any special operational or regulatory requirements.
Not as such, but it is should adhere to the Food manufacturing standards, mostly Clean environment.

How about cleaning requirements?
The Dough cylinder is detachable. So it is a manual process to clean end of the day.

Any material restrictions or code requirements?
I am trying to avoid plastics touching the food. The food packing will have the paper insulated containers.

junasiv said:
Hi NTL2009,
Thanks for your ideas!
Sure I will keep you guys up to date on my progress. I am checking on the x-y table too, also thinking of adding arduino to sync the speed. Looks like acutator internally has the threaded screw. I will find out more on this.
junasiv:

If you can meet the expense of a X-Y table, that is the way to go; as it will illuminate the need for a lot of mechanical design/build effort.

AZFIREBALL said:
junasiv:

If you can meet the expense of a X-Y table, that is the way to go; as it will illuminate the need for a lot of mechanical design/build effort.
Correction:
If you can meet the expense of a X-Y table, that is the way to go; as it will reduce the need for a lot of mechanical design/build effort.

Hi AZFIREBALL,
I am checking some manual x-y tables and add the motors to make it auto.
Do you think of any other ideas without moving parts. I was thinking some kind of path/rail/slider from the nozzle which can make that spiral. Is this possible?

Thanks

Yes. If you are skilled enough you could make the spirals by hand. Think about how you would decorate a cake with a spiral. Do you know how you might do that?