Optimizing DIY Wireless Charging Circuits: A Guide for Beginners

In summary, if you are struggling to transmit power from your coils, you may want to look into using a transformer or better yet, Litz wire.
Lucas Dimoveo
Good Afternoon,

I'd like to build a wireless charging circuit from scratch, but I am unsure of where to start. Every time I attempted the experiment the coils would not transfer power and I am unsure of what I am doing incorrectly. If anyone could point me to a resource for DIY wireless charging circuits I would be greatful.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lucas Dimoveo said:
Good Afternoon,

I'd like to build a wireless charging circuit from scratch, but I am unsure of where to start. Every time I attempted the experiment the coils would not transfer power and I am unsure of what I am doing incorrectly. If anyone could point me to a resource for DIY wireless charging circuits I would be greatful.

Thank you.

Welcome to the PF.

Doing a Google search on the title of your thread brings up lots and lots of resources. What resources have you looked at so far?

http://www.ehow.com/how_7566920_power-led-mutual-inductance.html

My friends and I are following this tutorial to the letter, but we can't seem to transmit more than .07V

Materials:
* 12VAC Transformer
* 5 Turn 3inch Diameter 22 Gauge Magnet Wire Receiving Coil
* Various Transmitting coils - 14 gauge solid core/ 10 gauge stranded/ 22 gauge smaller diameter / 22 gauge higher diameter

Thank you! We'll try it and get back to you.

Does anyone know how to increase AC frequency? This has been driving me nuts for 3 days!
I have a 12VAC 1.2A transformer letting out a 60Hz signal. I need it to oscillate at 60kHz. I don't have a frequency generator. are there any semi-simple circuits I can make to set the frequency using parts from radioshack?

It's the page 2 of Pantaz' link:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-Ipod-Charger/step2/The-Schematic/
but this project is not exactly for a beginner.

I'm surprised the author at instructables.com resonates the 3+3 turns transmitter coil with 2µF and the 3 turns receiver coil with 2µF as well. Unless both coils are very close to an other, the capacitances should be in factor 1:4. Further, resonance has to be adjusted a bit to obtain range.

PVC insulated wire is less than optimum: at around 250kHz it creates big dielectric losses in the coils. Transformer wire is far better, and of course Litz wire even better (I suppose it's a translation mistake, we should say braided wire).

Last edited:

1. How does wireless charging work?

Wireless charging, also known as inductive charging, uses an electromagnetic field to transfer energy between two objects. A transmitter, such as a wireless charging pad, creates an alternating current that generates a magnetic field. This field then induces a current in a receiver, such as a wireless charging circuit, which converts the energy into usable electricity to charge a device.

2. Can I make my own wireless charging circuit?

Yes, it is possible to make your own wireless charging circuit. However, it requires a good understanding of electronics and the ability to safely handle and work with potentially dangerous components. It is recommended to follow a detailed tutorial or seek help from a knowledgeable individual.

3. What components are needed for a DIY wireless charging circuit?

The main components needed for a DIY wireless charging circuit include a transmitter (wireless charging pad), a receiver (wireless charging circuit), and a power source. Additionally, you will need various electronic components such as capacitors, resistors, and diodes, as well as a microcontroller or integrated circuit to control the charging process.

4. Is DIY wireless charging safe?

DIY wireless charging can be safe if done properly. It is important to use high-quality components and follow safety precautions when working with electricity. It is also crucial to ensure that the circuit is designed correctly and can handle the power requirements of the device being charged. If done incorrectly, DIY wireless charging can be a fire hazard or damage your device.

5. What are the benefits of DIY wireless charging?

DIY wireless charging can offer convenience and flexibility, as you can create your own charging station without having to plug in multiple cables. It can also be a cost-effective option, as you can use components that you already have or source them at a lower cost. Additionally, DIY wireless charging can be a fun and educational project for those interested in electronics and technology.