Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do Camcorders/ Video camera have Sensors in them?

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    Curious. I have a video camera and I've decided to take it apart. I posted a thread a while ago about building a robot, so It would be nice if somehow i could use something from this camera to give it "vision" or "Senses". So I want to know. Do these things have sensors in them? Is that how they work? What kind of sensors if they do?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Any autofocus camera will have a way of knowing how far it is from the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus" [Broken] goes into some details about the methods.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Nov 22, 2009 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I'm just guessing here, but it seems to me that any decent camera would also have some sort of optical sensing apparatus, such as maybe a CCD array...

5. Nov 22, 2009 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well if the camera still works, you could incorporate it into the robot to give you video feedback. Otherwise, I don't really think there's much you can do with it, other than possibly making a line, color, or light/dark sensor (but it might take some advanced soldering and circuit modification).

6. Nov 22, 2009 #5
    In addition to ranging for autofocus that DaveC brought up, analog cameras will, usually have sensing for overall light intensity to adjust shutter speed and flash. I don't know about digital cameras.

7. Nov 23, 2009 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No sensors, there is a gnome in each camera, gnome with a canvas, palette and paintbrush.

8. Nov 23, 2009 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For video you need two sets of imps, one painting each image and another blowing it dry.

9. Nov 23, 2009 #8
    Now, now people be nice..

I'll answer some of your question after that use Google and wikipedia.com
    for more detail..

1) Don't even try to hack an old broken camera..
    unless you have tech information on that camera your wasting your time.
    2) All camera contain some type of "sensor" Cmos or mos.
    the most common is a ccd a type of cmos sensor.
    3) Here's where you should go to wikipedia and look up "CCD"..
    How they work is much easier to understand with pictures.
    4) Adding vision to a robot is a very complex process....
    I would recommend that you visit a site like "make"...They have projects
    you maybe able to do to add simple vision to your home bot.

Well that's it from me... good luck...

10. Nov 23, 2009 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

@*#! unions...

11. Nov 27, 2009 #10
    Yes Video camera and camcorders do have sensors. without ssensors hardly there are anymore gadgets produced.

12. Nov 28, 2009 #11
    Alright so after taking it apart some more. I can accross a very interesting piece. Makes me think of a turbine(I know that it is not). At one end it has a white cap with 4 holes with metal rods that then pass through a short(very short) glass tube and then through some gears and into another things with all these green and copper tightly packed teeny tiny wires. and then thats connected to the part that you put your eye at..Could this be it? If not, what is it? I'll upload a picture

13. Nov 28, 2009 #12
  14. Nov 28, 2009 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Hm. If you don't know what a circuit board is, is there any possibility this is over your head?

15. Nov 28, 2009 #14
    Of course it is..which is why I'm buying a kit to learn off of. But I figured I'd pick up some knowledge here too =]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook