Do inorganic macromolecules exist?

• Biology
  • Thread starter lainthewired14
  • Start date
In summary, an inorganic compound is a chemical compound that does not contain carbon-hydrogen bonds and is not considered an organic compound. This is due to the fact that many chemical foundations were established in the 1800s or earlier and some names and classifications are arbitrary. While there are exceptions such as graphite and diamond, which are considered inorganic macromolecules, in general, they do not exist or are not referred to as such. However, there are many useful inorganic polymers.
lainthewired14
Homework Statement
Hii!! I would like to know if all macromolecules are considered organic, since I've been trying to search for the inorganic ones but nothing came up. A few examples were given such as rubber, polypropylene and polyethylene, which are synthetic and do contain carbon. It has led me to believe the term "inorganic" is not being used as it is, and it's actually referring to the synthetic macromolecules. I would be really grateful if someone could explain this to me. Thank you and sorry for my English!!
Relevant Equations
Hope you're having a great day!!

Physics news on Phys.org
Inorganic is a defintion. That means there can be loopholes (the red part) in accepted usage:

An inorganic compound is most usually chemical compound that lacks carbon–hydrogen bonds, that is, a compound that is not an organic compound. Some simple compounds that contain carbon and no hydrogen bonds are often considered inorganic.

Why? This is because a lot of chemistry foundations are old. Like 1800's and earlier. Some names and classifications are like that, arbitrary, so do not read too much into it.

So your answer is mostly no -inorganic macromolecules do not exist, or at least they are not called that.
Exception: graphite and diamond = inorganic macromolecules.

• Informative
Likes Buzz Bloom and berkeman

1. What are inorganic macromolecules?

Inorganic macromolecules are large molecules that are composed of repeating units of inorganic elements, such as metals, non-metals, or metalloids. These molecules can have a variety of structures and functions, and are essential for many biological and industrial processes.

2. How do inorganic macromolecules differ from organic macromolecules?

Inorganic macromolecules differ from organic macromolecules in their composition. While organic macromolecules are primarily composed of carbon and hydrogen, inorganic macromolecules contain other elements such as metals, non-metals, or metalloids. Additionally, organic macromolecules are typically found in living organisms, while inorganic macromolecules can be found in both living and non-living systems.

3. Can inorganic macromolecules form polymers?

Yes, inorganic macromolecules can form polymers, which are long chains of repeating units. These polymers can have a variety of structures and functions, and are essential for many biological and industrial processes. Examples of inorganic polymers include silicates, phosphates, and metalloproteins.

4. How are inorganic macromolecules synthesized?

Inorganic macromolecules can be synthesized through various methods, including chemical reactions, enzymatic reactions, and self-assembly processes. These methods involve the bonding and arrangement of inorganic elements to form larger molecules with specific structures and functions.

5. What are the applications of inorganic macromolecules?

Inorganic macromolecules have a wide range of applications in various industries, including medicine, agriculture, and technology. They can be used as catalysts, structural materials, and in drug delivery systems. Inorganic macromolecules also play important roles in biological processes, such as DNA replication and enzyme function.