Do not understand Solution to this problem (AC Circuit Analysis)

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with equations they haven't learned in class. The equations involve normalization constants, square roots of 2, and the use of "X" to indicate resistance. The student is also unsure of where the expression for the phase "u" comes from. They mention taking previous courses at another institution and not being familiar with the topic. The expert suggests asking other students for help and mentions the topic may be discussed in the textbook.
Xyius

Homework Statement

See The attached Images.

2. The attempt at a solution

The problem I am having with this is the following.

I do not know where he is getting these equations from. We haven't done anything like this in class. Although he keeps mentioning skills we learned in previous courses, which I took at another institution so it wasn't all exactly the same.

I see what looks like normalization constants from Fourier analysis? (2/pi) And square roots of 2 (usually indicates RMS). But I do not know the logic behind the equation. Also, why is he using "X" to indicate resistance? Is it a reactance? I also don't know where he gets the expression for the phase "u."

Sorry I know this might seem like a silly question but if anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it!

Attachments

• ppp1.png
    ppp1.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 460
  • ppp2.png
    ppp2.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
Xyius said:

Homework Statement

See The attached Images.

2. The attempt at a solution

The problem I am having with this is the following.

I do not know where he is getting these equations from. We haven't done anything like this in class. Although he keeps mentioning skills we learned in previous courses, which I took at another institution so it wasn't all exactly the same.

I see what looks like normalization constants from Fourier analysis? (2/pi) And square roots of 2 (usually indicates RMS). But I do not know the logic behind the equation. Also, why is he using "X" to indicate resistance? Is it a reactance? I also don't know where he gets the expression for the phase "u."

Sorry I know this might seem like a silly question but if anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it!

X is the universal symbol of reactance: Z = R + jX. X = wL for inductor and -1/wC for capacitor. X is in Ohms.

I can't make out the text in the 1st (your work) slide.

It looks like this might be using design approximations used for inductive smoothing at the output of a bridge rectifier. The flattened current waveform suggests you can assume very effective smoothing. That constant current indicates why you can represent the load as a fixed voltage source: a steady current into a fixed load is just like a fixed voltage in opposition.

The topic may be discussed in your textbook, otherwise search for worked examples online.

Last edited:
The handwriting is very clear and easy to read on my tablet, anyway.

Have you asked others in the class about these formulae? In any subject, your best resource is always other students in your class.

NascentOxygen said:
The handwriting is very clear and easy to read on my tablet, anyway.
So's mine. I was referring to the printed text.

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains alternating current (AC) as opposed to direct current (DC). AC circuits are commonly used in household and industrial settings to power appliances and devices.

2. What is AC circuit analysis?

AC circuit analysis is the process of analyzing the behavior and characteristics of an AC circuit, such as voltage, current, and power. This involves using mathematical equations, such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws, to solve for unknown variables and determine the overall behavior of the circuit.

3. Why is AC circuit analysis important?

AC circuit analysis is important because it allows engineers and scientists to understand how AC circuits behave and how to design and troubleshoot them effectively. This knowledge is crucial in the development of new technologies and the maintenance of existing electrical systems.

4. What are some common challenges in understanding AC circuit analysis?

Some common challenges in understanding AC circuit analysis include dealing with complex mathematical equations and concepts, understanding the relationship between voltage, current, and impedance, and applying theoretical knowledge to real-world circuits.

5. How can one improve their understanding of AC circuit analysis?

One can improve their understanding of AC circuit analysis by studying the fundamental principles and equations, practicing problem-solving, and seeking additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and instructional videos. It is also helpful to work through example problems and seek guidance from knowledgeable individuals, such as teachers or experienced engineers.