1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do not understand Solution to this problem (AC Circuit Analysis)

1. Sep 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See The attached Images.

2. The attempt at a solution

The problem I am having with this is the following.

I do not know where he is getting these equations from. We haven't done anything like this in class. Although he keeps mentioning skills we learned in previous courses, which I took at another institution so it wasn't all exactly the same.

I see what looks like normalization constants from fourier analysis? (2/pi) And square roots of 2 (usually indicates RMS). But I do not know the logic behind the equation. Also, why is he using "X" to indicate resistance? Is it a reactance? I also don't know where he gets the expression for the phase "u."

Sorry I know this might seem like a silly question but if anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

X is the universal symbol of reactance: Z = R + jX. X = wL for inductor and -1/wC for capacitor. X is in Ohms.

I can't make out the text in the 1st (your work) slide.

4. Sep 26, 2014 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It looks like this might be using design approximations used for inductive smoothing at the output of a bridge rectifier. The flattened current waveform suggests you can assume very effective smoothing. That constant current indicates why you can represent the load as a fixed voltage source: a steady current into a fixed load is just like a fixed voltage in opposition.

The topic may be discussed in your textbook, otherwise search for worked examples online.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  5. Sep 26, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

The handwriting is very clear and easy to read on my tablet, anyway.

6. Sep 26, 2014 #5

NascentOxygen

Have you asked others in the class about these formulae? In any subject, your best resource is always other students in your class.

7. Sep 26, 2014 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So's mine. I was referring to the printed text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted