Do Quantum Fields Move Relative to Each Other?

In summary,Quantum fields do not move with respect to each other. What establishes the background spacetime for quantum fields is unknown, but it is usually assumed to be flat Minkowski spacetime. There is no way to reconcile two different frames of reference in QFT.
friend
Do quantum fields move with respect to each other? If not, then what establishes the background spacetime for quantum fields? Is there a way in which to say that the particle wave in one field is stationary in another frame and the rest of the particles are moving with respect to it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
friend said:
Do quantum fields move with respect to each other?

Since a field is a mathematical object with a value at all points in time and space, it doesn't make sense to talk about it moving.

friend said:
what establishes the background spacetime for quantum fields?

Which background spacetime you assume in your model. Usually it's flat Minkowski spacetime, but you can do QFT on any background spacetime you like (for example, in the usual treatment of Hawking radiation, QFT is done with Schwarzschild spacetime being the background spacetime).

Vanadium 50 said:
Since a field is a mathematical object with a value at all points in time and space, it doesn't make sense to talk about it moving.
Thank you. But in empty space you can't say who is moving and how fast, how do you chose a frame of reference to establish your QFT? What one person says is moving, another person says it's still. Is each observer allowed to say he is still and establish his QFT in that frame? Is there any way in QFT to reconcile two different frames of reference? Does QFT assume a center of mass frame?

friend said:
in empty space you can't say who is moving and how fast, how do you chose a frame of reference to establish your QFT?

You don't have to. You can describe a spacetime without choosing a frame of reference. You just have to write everything in terms of frame-independent quantities (which contain all of the actual physics anyway). In the same way, you can formulate QFT on a background spacetime without choosing a frame of reference.

PeterDonis said:
In the same way, you can formulate QFT on a background spacetime without choosing a frame of reference.

I might be confused between two points of view. One, that particles are waves in the field, and a wave propagates through space with time. And second, the Feynman diagrams show interactions, but the lines being drawn are not with respect to actual space and time coordinates; they only represent interactions at some other point of space at some other place in time.

Last edited:
friend said:
I might be confused between two points of view.

Neither of the points of view you describe are correct.

PeterDonis said:
You just have to write everything in terms of frame-independent quantities (which contain all of the actual physics anyway).

Thank you. But I'm having trouble being certain about the spacetime independent nature of QFT. Let me see if I got the idea: First quantization is with respect to spacetime. But second quantization is with respect to fields (at least in the path integral) which are not spacetime variables. So the variables of QFT are the number operator... what else, that are spacetime independent?

friend said:
I'm having trouble being certain about the spacetime independent nature of QFT.

Who said QFT was "spacetime independent"? I said it was frame independent. Big difference.

friend said:
Let me see if I got the idea

You don't. And I don't think your misunderstandings can be disentangled in a "B" level thread. You need to spend some time working through a QFT textbook, so that you can formulate questions at the "I" level which can be more rigorously discussed.

A. Neumaier said:
They don't move but they change with time.
In whose frame of reference?

friend said:
In whose frame of reference?
Typically in every frame of reference.

A. Neumaier said:
Typically in every frame of reference.
Yes, that's my sense of it, that each observer is allowed to consider him/herself inside a stationary field. Another way to ask this is how do quantum fields account for kinetic energy or relativistic mass?

friend said:
each observer is allowed to consider him/herself inside a stationary field

There is no such thing as a "stationary field". What @A. Neumaier is saying is that in general, every observer will see a quantum field changing with time along his worldline--in other words, the field values he measures in his local vicinity will, in general, change with time. This is not the same as the field "moving" or "not moving"; the latter concepts have no meaning.

friend said:
how do quantum fields account for kinetic energy or relativistic mass?

Neither of those concepts appear in quantum field theory. They only appear in the classical approximation (and aren't very useful even then--we've had plenty of past PF threads on why relativistic mass isn't a useful concept, we even have a FAQ on it).

Once again, you seem to have some basic misunderstandings about QFT, and they aren't going to be correctible in a "B" level thread. I suggest taking the time to work through a textbook.

Thread closed.

Likes dextercioby

1. Do quantum fields actually move?

Yes, quantum fields do move according to the principles of quantum mechanics. However, the concept of "movement" in quantum fields is different from our everyday understanding of movement in the macroscopic world. In quantum mechanics, particles are described as waves and can exist in multiple states at once. This means that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be precisely determined at any given moment, and instead, we use probabilities to describe its behavior.

2. How do quantum fields move?

Quantum fields move through a process called quantum tunneling, where particles can appear in locations that they would not be able to reach through classical movement. This occurs due to the inherent uncertainty in the position and momentum of particles in quantum mechanics. Additionally, particles can also move through interactions with other particles and fields.

3. Can we observe the movement of quantum fields?

No, we cannot directly observe the movement of quantum fields. This is because the act of observation itself can affect the behavior of particles and fields, making it impossible to observe their movement without altering it. Instead, we use mathematical models and experiments to infer the behavior and movement of quantum fields.

4. Do all quantum fields move at the same speed?

No, the speed at which quantum fields move can vary depending on the specific field and its interactions with other fields and particles. For example, the electromagnetic field moves at the speed of light, while the Higgs field moves at a much slower speed. Additionally, the concept of "speed" in quantum fields is not the same as in classical mechanics and can be described by the concept of energy and momentum rather than a specific velocity.

5. Can the movement of quantum fields be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the movement of quantum fields can be controlled and manipulated through the use of external forces and interactions. This is the basis of many technologies, such as transistors in computers, which rely on the controlled movement of electrons in a semiconductor material. However, the manipulation of quantum fields is still a complex and ongoing area of research in quantum mechanics.