Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do the reviewers of PhD applications look at social media profiles?

1. Mar 25, 2017 #1
    It affects job prospects these days
    I would have though though it'd have a much less impact on phd prospects?

Can it make someone reject you?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Depends what is out there. A picture of you drinking beer with friends, probably not. A picture of you beheading an infidel that received worldwide press, probably. In between will be in between.

4. Mar 25, 2017 #3
    and in terms of how often these things are checked, I'd guess mostly they aren't since supervisors are so busy?

5. Mar 25, 2017 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hard to tell.

6. Mar 25, 2017 #5

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

It could. I recommend that you set your personal profiles to private and create a separate academic/professional profile (like with linkedin)- keep those contacts totally separate. Anything you write can come back to haunt you and can been seen as a reflection of your organization. Clean it up now so that you don't have to worry about it! I would be real surprised if board members did not check social media profiles.

7. Mar 25, 2017 #6
    are they more likely to check before shortlisting? or after an interview?
    i had been shortlisted, attended an interview, waiting to hear back, it has registered with me now that it could influence, post interview...

8. Mar 25, 2017 #7

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

I don't know. But just in case, go ahead and do a quick clean up! What do you have on there so bad, if you don't mind my asking?

9. Mar 25, 2017 #8
    no that's fine, erm personal arguements, about being walked over by a sibling, feeling suicidal as a result of it, including swearing, not the best..

10. Mar 25, 2017 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That will depend on the people looking at your application. I don't think someone made a scientific study at which step (if at all) they are more likely to look for social media profiles.

11. Mar 25, 2017 #10
    by board members are you referring to supervisors or?

12. Mar 25, 2017 #11

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Yes, I can relate to having a sibling that is very annoying. I think you will be okay, none of that is really bad enough to cause them to reject you.

Have you tried cutting yourself off from social media? I did it and feel much better. It was hard at first, but found I could spend that time on more productive things. I think that you should distance yourself from anyone that can lead you to feeling that bad about your life. Nobody should have to deal with people so toxic in their lives, sibling or not. :frown:

13. Mar 25, 2017 #12
    thank you for your kind advice, i've thought it's probably a good idea and tried but failed, in fairness I probably haven't tried harder.

14. Mar 25, 2017 #13

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Usually a committee?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted