Do the reviewers of PhD applications look at social media profiles?

• Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date
binbagsss
It affects job prospects these days
I would have though though it'd have a much less impact on phd prospects?

Can it make someone reject you?

thanks

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Depends what is out there. A picture of you drinking beer with friends, probably not. A picture of you beheading an infidel that received worldwide press, probably. In between will be in between.

binbagsss
Depends what is out there. A picture of you drinking beer with friends, probably not. A picture of you beheading an infidel that received worldwide press, probably. In between will be in between.

and in terms of how often these things are checked, I'd guess mostly they aren't since supervisors are so busy?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Hard to tell.

Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
It could. I recommend that you set your personal profiles to private and create a separate academic/professional profile (like with linkedin)- keep those contacts totally separate. Anything you write can come back to haunt you and can been seen as a reflection of your organization. Clean it up now so that you don't have to worry about it! I would be real surprised if board members did not check social media profiles.

binbagsss
It could. I recommend that you set your personal profiles to private and create a separate academic/professional profile (like with linkedin)- keep those contacts totally separate. Anything you write can come back to haunt you and can been seen as a reflection of your organization. Clean it up now so that you don't have to worry about it! I would be real surprised if board members did not check social media profiles.

are they more likely to check before shortlisting? or after an interview?
i had been shortlisted, attended an interview, waiting to hear back, it has registered with me now that it could influence, post interview...

Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
I don't know. But just in case, go ahead and do a quick clean up! What do you have on there so bad, if you don't mind my asking?

binbagsss
I don't know. But just in case, go ahead and do a quick clean up! What do you have on there so bad, if you don't mind my asking?

no that's fine, erm personal arguements, about being walked over by a sibling, feeling suicidal as a result of it, including swearing, not the best..

That will depend on the people looking at your application. I don't think someone made a scientific study at which step (if at all) they are more likely to look for social media profiles.

binbagsss

by board members are you referring to supervisors or?

Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
Yes, I can relate to having a sibling that is very annoying. I think you will be okay, none of that is really bad enough to cause them to reject you.

Have you tried cutting yourself off from social media? I did it and feel much better. It was hard at first, but found I could spend that time on more productive things. I think that you should distance yourself from anyone that can lead you to feeling that bad about your life. Nobody should have to deal with people so toxic in their lives, sibling or not. :frown:

binbagsss
Yes, I can relate to having a sibling that is very annoying. I think you will be okay, none of that is really bad enough to cause them to reject you.

Have you tried cutting yourself off from social media? I did it and feel much better. It was hard at first, but found I could spend that time on more productive things. I think that you should distance yourself from anyone that can lead you to feeling that bad about your life. Nobody should have to deal with people so toxic in their lives, sibling or not. :frown:

thank you for your kind advice, I've thought it's probably a good idea and tried but failed, in fairness I probably haven't tried harder.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
Usually a committee?

Suggested for: Do the reviewers of PhD applications look at social media profiles?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views