Do vibrational energy levels decay?

In summary: Sure, the system has to very well isolated though for the excitation rate to be = to the relaxation rate i.e. no loss. With only one state involved, a temperature difference may not be measurable.
The-Exiled
Hi,

I was just wondering if the vibrational energy levels in molecules decay, emitting a photon? or by some other mechanism?

For example, if a laser is used to excite a vibrational mode (Like that in Stokes-Raman Scattering) from say v = 0 to v = 1 state. Will the molecule remain in the v = 1 state or will it return to the ground state?

Physics news on Phys.org
It will decay to ground state by emitting photon!

Vibrational levels will emit photons and decay just as electronic levels do, they have different selection rules though. They can also lose energy non-radiatively in collisions with other molecules.

I think that at these energies, we can practically replace the word "decay" by "cool".

The laser crystal will simple cool, like any other substance.

I think that'd be too loose terminology. "Cool" implies temperature, which is a macroscopic or ensemble property, whereas a decay is a change of a single state.

I believe the most used term is "vibrational relaxation".

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Hi,
some people also say:
A molecule absorbs photon: Here the molecule is excited
When decay: Molecule is de-excited.

alxm said:
I think that'd be too loose terminology. "Cool" implies temperature, which is a macroscopic or ensemble property, whereas a decay is a change of a single state.

I believe the most used term is "vibrational relaxation".

Ok, but for a macroscopic crystal, the only real difference is in the number of states that are considered: 1 (or a few) for a "relaxing" laser crystal vs "many" for a "cooling" random object.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Ok, but for a macroscopic crystal, the only real difference is in the number of states that are considered: 1 (or a few) for a "relaxing" laser crystal vs "many" for a "cooling" random object.

If the crystal is an isolated system (no energy or mass is allowed to escape) you would still have rapid excitation and relaxation of vibarational states inside the crystal without any cooling effect. The Boltzmann distribution law would then let you approximate how many molecules/atoms are in each vibarational state at any given time.

espen180 said:
If the crystal is an isolated system (no energy or mass is allowed to escape) you would still have rapid excitation and relaxation of vibrational states inside the crystal without any cooling effect. The Boltzmann distribution law would then let you approximate how many molecules/atoms are in each vibrational state at any given time.

Sure, the system has to very well isolated though for the excitation rate to be = to the relaxation rate i.e. no loss. With only one state involved, a temperature difference may not be measurable.

1. What is vibrational energy decay?

Vibrational energy decay is the process by which a vibrating molecule or atom loses its energy over time and returns to its ground state. This can happen through a variety of mechanisms, such as collision with other particles or emission of photons.

2. Why do vibrational energy levels decay?

Vibrational energy levels decay because of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that all systems tend towards a state of higher entropy (disorder). As a vibrating molecule or atom loses energy, it becomes more disordered and returns to its lowest energy state.

3. How long does it take for vibrational energy levels to decay?

The time it takes for vibrational energy levels to decay depends on the specific molecule or atom and the conditions it is in. In general, the decay process can range from nanoseconds to minutes.

4. Can vibrational energy levels be maintained or increased?

Yes, vibrational energy levels can be maintained or increased through external energy sources, such as light or heat. This is known as vibrational excitation. However, this increase in energy is temporary and the vibrational energy levels will eventually decay back to their ground state.

5. Is vibrational energy decay a reversible process?

No, vibrational energy decay is an irreversible process. Once a molecule or atom loses energy and returns to its ground state, it cannot spontaneously regain that energy. However, external energy sources can be used to increase the vibrational energy levels again.