Does a ball bearing oscillating on a curved track have a constant time

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the time period for SHM remains constant as the amplitude diminishes. The equations for SHM of a simple pendulum and a ball on a curved track are mentioned, and it is concluded that the time period is constant in both cases. The concept of SHM and its implication for the time period is also discussed.
mrcotton

Homework Statement

A ball bearing is placed on a track curved in the vertical plane. The ball bearing is released from a position on the track above the lowest point and it then oscillates with SHM. As the amplitude diminishes does the time period for each oscillation stay the same?

Homework Equations

For SHM of a simple pendulum the time period stays constant as the amplitude diminishes.
T=2∏√(l/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this true for a ball on a curved track.
Is there a formula for this type of SHM?
Any help gratefully received

Physics news on Phys.org
how does it compare with a simple pendulum?
Do you know what that does?

Thanks for responding technician
I know that for SHM the acceleration produced by the restoring force is proportional to the negative of the displacement. I am familiar with the derivation of the simple pendulum using the horizontal and vertical components of the force arrive at the formula for T.

Would I have to consider the components of the force at a normal to the track and parallel with the track to find the acceleration.
I have just read a derivation for a curved ball on a track
http://www.chaostoy.com/cd/html/pendul_e.htm
and it seems that because the ball is rotating then the derivation is using
Torque = moment of inertial * angular acceleration
It ends up with a time period formula

T=2∏√(2rR/5g)

So if the only variables in the formula are radius of ball (r), radius of track (R) and acceleration due to gravity I assume that means that the displacement from equilibrium has no effect on the time period and as the amplitude diminishes the time period remains constant.

So time period is constant in this oscillatory system?
Thanks
Dave

You are not told the shape of the curve. You are told the only thing that matters: the motion is SHM. That allows you to write a generic equation (no need to derive it from consideration of forces), and that equation implies the period is independent of the amplitude.

Thanks Haruspex,
So by definition a body oscilating under SHM will have a constant time period

SHM_zpse010a5e9.jpg

The differential equations are a little beyond me, so can I tell from the solution that the time period is always independent of the amplitude?

mrcotton said:
The differential equations are a little beyond me, so can I tell from the solution that the time period is always independent of the amplitude?
Yes. From the A cos (ωt-θ) solution, the values must repeat as t increases by multiples of 2π/ω.
Or, looking at the DE, if x=x(t) is a solution then so is Ax(t). Therefore the amplitude can change without affecting the function in any other way.

1. Does the shape of the track affect the time it takes for the ball bearing to oscillate?

Yes, the shape of the track does affect the time it takes for the ball bearing to oscillate. A curved track will result in a longer oscillation time compared to a flat track. This is because the curved track introduces additional forces on the ball bearing, causing it to slow down and take longer to complete each oscillation.

2. Is the mass of the ball bearing a factor in the oscillation time?

Yes, the mass of the ball bearing does play a role in the oscillation time. A heavier ball bearing will have more inertia, making it more difficult to change direction and resulting in a longer oscillation time compared to a lighter ball bearing.

3. How does the speed of the ball bearing affect the oscillation time?

The speed of the ball bearing does not have a significant impact on the oscillation time. As long as the ball bearing is not moving too quickly, the time for each oscillation will remain relatively constant.

4. Can the material of the ball bearing affect the oscillation time?

Yes, the material of the ball bearing can affect the oscillation time. Different materials have different densities and surface textures, which can impact the friction and forces acting on the ball bearing as it moves along the curved track.

5. Is there a way to calculate the exact oscillation time of a ball bearing on a curved track?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the exact oscillation time of a ball bearing on a curved track using mathematical equations and considering factors such as the shape and size of the track, the mass and speed of the ball bearing, and the forces acting on it. However, in real-world situations, there may be other variables that can affect the oscillation time, making it difficult to predict with complete accuracy.