Does my choice of courses as a math major matter much?

In summary, the individual is interested in majoring in mathematics with a focus on statistics and applied math. They are not planning on pursuing research and are considering getting a master's degree in statistics or applied math. They need to fulfill certain criteria, including taking courses in algebra and analysis. They are wondering if they should focus on more applied courses or take more pure courses and apply their knowledge in the workplace. They are also advised to consider courses for honors students or non-technical subjects to prepare for the workforce. If they are interested in working in insurance or investment, they should research the specific expertise required for those roles.
stgermaine
Hi. I am thinking about majoring in mathematics. I'm interested more in statistics and applied math. I only started prerequisites during my sophomore year so I don't have a lot of choices.

I am not planning on going into research. I probably will get a master's degree in statistics or applied math. There are some criteria that I need to fill, such as two courses in algebra and two courses in analysis. There are courses that are more applied or computational than theoretical. Should I take courses that are more applied or would taking a more 'pure' course be suitable, as my mathematical knowledge can be used if I can find a way to apply them to whatever task I am given at my workplace? (for example, in an insurance or investment company)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey stgermaine and welcome to the forums.

For applied math/statistics, you will have to do some pure mathematics subjects and depending on the school/university/department the subjects can be semi-rigorous or really rigorous in terms of whether you have to prove things or use very high levels of abstractions. The other thing will be how much computation these courses focus on.

For issues like this, you should see if different courses are offered to honors students or normal science/engineering students where the engineering/science offering focuses more on computational/applied contexts than proof/theoretical contexts.

For insurance and risk management, the job title of people who usually do a lot of analytic work goes under actuarial analyst or actuary and there is a specialized qualification scheme for actuaries which you can look up on google.

I would also recommend that you should take more applied courses for goals of getting into applied work and this includes computer science courses to get some basic programming skills developing. Also focus on subjects that offer projects and focus on report writing, and presentations in non-technical terms since this will be good preparation for the work-force.

If you want to work at an investment company or an investment bank, then you should really find out what different kinds of expertise are required because there will be many different kinds.

If you are going to program computers in an investment bank, you will need to have some experience on real projects under your belt and you can acquire some of the experience in masters and PhD projects. There are some people who can give you very specific advice based on their own experiences (they work in these kinds of roles).

Related to Does my choice of courses as a math major matter much?

1. What courses should I take as a math major?

The specific courses you should take as a math major will depend on your individual interests and career goals. However, most math majors will take courses in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and abstract algebra, as well as elective courses in areas such as statistics, applied mathematics, or computer science.

2. Do the courses I choose as a math major impact my job prospects?

Yes, the courses you take as a math major can definitely impact your job prospects. Employers often look for candidates with a strong foundation in core math subjects, as well as a good understanding of how to apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems.

3. Are there any courses that are considered more important for a math major?

While the courses considered most important may vary among universities and employers, courses in calculus, linear algebra, and statistics are generally seen as essential for any math major. Additionally, courses in computer science or programming can be valuable for applying mathematical concepts to practical problems.

4. Can I take courses outside of the math department as a math major?

Yes, most universities allow students to take elective courses outside of their major. This can be a great opportunity to explore other subjects and potentially apply mathematical concepts in new ways. Just make sure to check with your academic advisor to ensure the courses will count towards your degree requirements.

5. Will I still be able to pursue a career in math if I don't take certain courses?

While certain courses may be important for specific career paths in math, there are many different areas within the field that you can pursue. As long as you have a strong foundation in core math subjects and are able to apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems, you should have many options for a successful career in math.