Does the plane strike the ground?

In summary, the conversation discusses a pilot flying horizontally at 1300 km/h at a height of 76 m above the ground. The pilot then begins to fly over ground sloping upward at an angle of 7.5°. The problem is solved using trigonometry and the velocity equation, resulting in a final answer of 1.60 seconds for when the plane will strike the ground. The initial attempts at solving the problem involved incorrect unit conversions and bringing gravity into the equation, but were later corrected.
Drub

Homework Statement

A pilot flies horizontally at 1300 km/h, at height h = 76 m above initially level ground. However, at time t = 0, the pilot begins to fly over ground sloping upward at angle θ = 7.5° (see the figure). If the pilot does not change the airplane's heading, at what time t does the plane strike the ground?
upload_2015-8-29_22-13-0.png

Homework Equations

upload_2015-8-29_22-13-11.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Second question today, been taking chunks at my homework all throughout the day!

So i know the Xi is 76 m. I know that the Vi is 36.11 m/s once i convert from kilometers. I know my t=0 and that since the plane is falling, my a = 9.8 m/s^2. I am not sure what the angle 7.5 does to the problem however. That is where I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say the plane is falling? The question says it is flying horizontally.

There is no need to bring gravity into this question. It's just trigonometry. You have a right triangle with the two non-hypotenuse sides 76m and x metres where x is the distance flown between t=0 and the crash, and the angle is 7.5 degrees. So you can work out x and then work out t from that using the plane's speed.

By the way, your calc of speed in m/s is wrong. 10m/s is 36 km/h. So 1300 km/h is going to be an awful lot more than 36.11 m/s

Likes billy_joule and Student100
Thank you for your response!
It seems i screwed up a basic conversion, what I meant to say that it was 361.11 m/s.'

EDIT:
However, i am still unsure where to take this problem with the information listed above.

Last edited:
Was there something about the following you didn't understand?

andrewkirk said:
There is no need to bring gravity into this question. It's just trigonometry. You have a right triangle with the two non-hypotenuse sides 76m and x metres where x is the distance flown between t=0 and the crash, and the angle is 7.5 degrees. So you can work out x and then work out t from that using the plane's speed.

Can you draw a diagram of this triangle?

I worked through the problem again and understood what you were saying earlier :) I solved for the adjacent and then did delta x= vi*t+1/2(a*t^2). ended up with 1.60 s as the final answer and was right. Thank you :3.

Drub said:
I solved for the adjacent and then did delta x= vi*t+1/2(a*t^2).

That equation is somewhat overkill for this problem. Easier to use..

velocity = distance/time
or
time = distance/velocity.

1. How does a plane strike the ground?

A plane strikes the ground when its descent is not controlled or when it crashes due to technical malfunctions or human error. It can also strike the ground in emergency situations such as during a forced landing or when attempting to land on rough terrain.

2. What are the common causes of a plane striking the ground?

The most common causes of a plane striking the ground are pilot error, mechanical failure, bad weather, and runway incursions. These factors can lead to loss of control or improper landing techniques, resulting in a plane striking the ground.

3. How often do planes strike the ground?

Plane crashes are rare occurrences, and the likelihood of a plane striking the ground is even rarer. According to the National Transportation Safety Board, the odds of being in a plane crash are about one in 11 million flights. This means that the chances of a plane striking the ground are extremely low.

4. What happens to the passengers when a plane strikes the ground?

The outcome for passengers when a plane strikes the ground can vary depending on the severity of the crash and the safety measures taken by the airline. In some cases, passengers may survive with minor injuries, while in others, the impact may be fatal. It is essential to follow safety protocols and listen to the flight crew's instructions to increase the chances of survival in the event of a plane striking the ground.

5. Can a plane survive striking the ground?

In some cases, a plane may be able to survive striking the ground, but it depends on the severity of the crash and the type of aircraft. Modern planes are designed to withstand significant impacts, and safety measures such as crash-resistant seats and fire-retardant materials are in place to increase the chances of survival. However, it is always best to avoid any situation where a plane may strike the ground to ensure the safety of all passengers and crew on board.