1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Domain of functions

1. Sep 21, 2005 #1
    I am having problems with finding the domain of the composition of f and g(fog) for example, f(x)=x+7 and g(x)=x^2+4, the fog(x)=x^2+11, but from there i dont know how to find the domain, please help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you find the domain of f or g individually?

4. Sep 21, 2005 #3
    ya--in this case both would be all reals, and sow ould this particular example, i guess my main question is if they werent all reals, like the square root of x and other variations

5. Sep 23, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you have g(f(x)), x MUST be in the domain of f in order for f(x) to be defined- that is, the domain of g(f) is a subset of the domain of f.

Then, however, f(x) must be such that g(f(x)) is defined. Start with the domain of f and delete those values for which g(f(x)) is not defined. Exactly how you do that depends on the specific values of f and g.

In your original example, the domains of both g and f are 'all real numbers' so the domain of g(f) is also 'all real numbers'.

If you had g(x)= sqrt(x), f(x)= 3x- 1, the domain of f is all real numbers but the domain of g is only non-negative numbers. For what x is 3x-1>= 0?

Conversely, if g(x)= 3x-1, f(x)= sqrt(x), The domain of f is non-negative numbers. Since g(x) is defined for all x, g(f(x)) is defined for all numbers for which f is defined: non-negative numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?