Find Domain of f o g: Solve x^2+11

In summary, the domain of the composition of f and g(fog) depends on the specific values of f and g. It is a subset of the domain of f and is determined by the values of f that make g(f(x)) defined. If the domain of f is all real numbers, then the domain of g(f) will also be all real numbers. If the domain of f is limited, the domain of g(f) will be a subset of that limited domain.
nate808
I am having problems with finding the domain of the composition of f and g(fog) for example, f(x)=x+7 and g(x)=x^2+4, the fog(x)=x^2+11, but from there i don't know how to find the domain, please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find the domain of f or g individually?

ya--in this case both would be all reals, and sow ould this particular example, i guess my main question is if they weren't all reals, like the square root of x and other variations

Since you have g(f(x)), x MUST be in the domain of f in order for f(x) to be defined- that is, the domain of g(f) is a subset of the domain of f.

Then, however, f(x) must be such that g(f(x)) is defined. Start with the domain of f and delete those values for which g(f(x)) is not defined. Exactly how you do that depends on the specific values of f and g.

In your original example, the domains of both g and f are 'all real numbers' so the domain of g(f) is also 'all real numbers'.

If you had g(x)= sqrt(x), f(x)= 3x- 1, the domain of f is all real numbers but the domain of g is only non-negative numbers. For what x is 3x-1>= 0?

Conversely, if g(x)= 3x-1, f(x)= sqrt(x), The domain of f is non-negative numbers. Since g(x) is defined for all x, g(f(x)) is defined for all numbers for which f is defined: non-negative numbers.

1. What is the meaning of "f o g" in the given problem?

"f o g" represents the composition of two functions, f and g. This means that the output of g serves as the input for f, and the resulting output is the final result.

2. How do I solve for the domain of f o g?

To find the domain of f o g, we need to consider the domains of both f and g. The domain of f o g will be the set of all inputs that are in the domain of g and produce outputs that are in the domain of f.

3. Can you provide an example of how to solve for the domain of f o g?

Sure, let's say f(x) = √x and g(x) = x + 3. To find the domain of f o g, we first need to determine the domain of g, which is all real numbers since there are no restrictions on the input. Next, we need to find the domain of f, which is all non-negative real numbers (since the square root function only accepts non-negative inputs). Therefore, the domain of f o g would be all real numbers greater than or equal to -3.

4. Is there a general rule for finding the domain of f o g?

Yes, there is a general rule for finding the domain of f o g. If we have two functions f(x) and g(x), the domain of f o g will be the set of all inputs that are in the domain of g and produce outputs that are in the domain of f.

5. What happens if the domains of f and g do not overlap?

If the domains of f and g do not overlap, then there will be no inputs that satisfy both domains. This means that there is no solution for f o g and the domain would be an empty set.